Thursday, March 06, 2008

Selective hearing

Today’s Reading: Romans 10:14-15; 17-18(NIV)

14 How, then, can they call on the One they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can they preach unless they are sent?

17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the Word of Christ. 18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did.

Good day!

Do you ever have trouble hearing? I live with people who are hearing impaired. My mother, mother-in-law and husband all wear hearing aids to help them hear more clearly. I know they hear much better with their hearing aids than I do now. I have three children who have selective hearing, a genetic trait they’ve inherited from their mother’s side. I have been fighting an uphill battle with hearing since I caught the flu in late January. When people talk to me, it sounds like they are speaking through a long, narrow tube. I hear the strangest sounds. Don’t worry, I’ve had my head examined and I’m told I have a brain and that it is partially functioning. Whew! That’s a relief.

There are times when I struggle to hear God clearly. How do you listen for His still, small voice? The Apostle Paul reminds us that we will hear clearly when we listen to the Word of Christ. Seeking His still, small voice is something I do from the minute I get up until I turn out the light at the end of the day. I look for Him everywhere, and in everything I do. Sometimes, even when I’m trying, God has to take out His 2x4 and bop me on the head a few times just to get my attention. No wonder I have this ringing sensation going on right now. I’ve been fighting with selective spiritual hearing for most of my life. It may be easy to hear what I want, but not so easy to hear what I may need to understand.

Every one of us has a special call on our lives. We were created by the hand of God for a specific plan and purpose. Do you know what you’re supposed to be doing with your life? I’m still trying to figure it all out. I’m 49 years old, and at the rate I’m going, I’ll be asking the same question at age 99. Where will He take me in the next 50 years of my life? What specific plan and purpose does He have for me to fulfill on earth? Will I hear Him if my ears are plugged up? If my heart is not open to His realm of His possibilities, will I miss out on the one thing He has called me to do?

There is one place I need to go to find the answers I’m seeking. Will you join me there today, as we study God's Word together? Don’t miss out on all He has planned for you. Get into the Word today, and He will speak, I guarantee it.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: