Sunday, March 02, 2008

Power nap

Today’s Reading: John 8:12(NIV)

12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Good day!

We had a sleepover last night. Several years ago, Jeff and I created a special place for our little overnight visitors. We purchased a set of bunk beds, a twin bed and a crib. Our miniature dormitory is filled with games, toys and lots of good books. Stuffed animals and posters decorate this special place. When our grandchildren visit, we spent hours making castles out of bed sheets and blankets, erect secret hideaways with pillows, and gaze out the single-framed window in wonder, watching the stars twinkle brightly in the dark midnight sky.

Last night, Granny Deb prayed away all the scary things that keep little eyes wide awake. It took an hour to get Emily to fall asleep. Joshua dozed off after three drinks of water and two bathroom breaks, but our Emily was hanging on. She wanted nine-month old Andrew to come back to the bedroom, but Granny Deb was determined to keep him in the other room until this little one was sound asleep. Finally, around 11:00pm, all three children were dreaming had entered their rim cycle of peaceful sweet dreams. I had tucked Andrew under the blanket and had tiptoed to my bedroom, hoping I would catch a power nap myself. Five minutes just wasn’t long enough. I realized this boy was not going to sleep alone. All the prayers of protection were not working to comfort this wee one. Andrew wanted to know someone was right there with him. As long as he could feel my hand on his chest, and my breath blowing across his face, Andrew could sleep. When I tried to put him back in the crib, he was inconsolable. So Granny Deb curled up with her sweet little bed fellow and we took a power nap together.

Sometimes, we just need to know that the Lord is with us. We long to feel His hand holding us up. We need the reassurance of His breath gently breathing new life into our bodies, giving us His eternal hope. Just like baby Andrew, I am inconsolable until I feel Christ’s holy presence surrounding me, allowing me the freedom to really rest in His eternal love.

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” When things get dark and the path seems unclear, we can call upon The light of The World. He gives us His light, which is the light of life, and all who come to Him can rest assured in His holy presence. Come and take a power nap in the presence of the Lord. We can all relax now. Jesus is right here with us.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: