Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Measuring Truth

Today’s Reading: John 8:15-16(NIV)

15 “You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. 16 But if I do judge, my decisions are right, because I am not alone; I stand with the Father, who sent me.”

Good day!

The Saint Louis metropolitan area experienced one of its largest snowfalls yesterday in March history. Ranking among the top five March snow accumulations ever in St. Louis, measurements ranged from 3-12 inches, depending upon where you live. I work just a few miles from my home, just across the Missouri River. When I stepped onto the parking lot to scrape off my car, I was surprised by the accumulations on my windshield and car roof. I waded through snow that came up over the tops of my snow boots. It fell so quickly, that I had no idea just how bad the weather had become in such a short period of time. With the added wind and freezing road conditions, there were moments when I literally could not see a few feet in front of me, as I crept along the highway toward my home in St. Charles.

Neighbors were outside with their snow shovels and measuring sticks, trying to determine just how much snow fell in their front yards. By human standards, our measurements will vary, depending upon the wind gusts in your neighborhood and how the storm tracked in your neck of the woods. Still, it was a beautiful snow, picture perfect for building snowmen and sledding. I hope you made time to play in the new-fallen snow, even if it was only for a few minutes.

The people were measuring Jesus by human standards, and their measurements were as varied as the opinions being spoken. Some thought He was just a man, while others saw a Savior’s heart, recognizing the Lord whom they had long been waiting for. Many were threatened by His teaching. They were fearful of His authority and supernatural power. Jesus didn’t need a groundswell of support from the crowd. He came to offer God’s love to the world, hoping they would hear and receive His message of salvation. Jesus knew His Father was walking right beside Him, every step of the way, and this is the only accurate measurement He needed.

Like the beautiful snowfall, Christ’s Word falls fresh on us all. Some will mark His Words as Gospel Truth and will choose to follow Him wherever He leads. Others may not pay attention, and miss out on the beauty of His amazing love. When you step outside today, take a minute to play in the snow, remembering that our human measurements and opinions cannot begin to compare to the Truth that is given through God’s Word, in the person of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: