Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The music of love

Today’s Reading: Psalm 107:1 NIV

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.

Good morning!

This has been a very sad and painful time in my family’s life. Last week, I had a second surgery, which I had hoped and had prayed to the Lord I might avoid. The surgeon was brilliant and the procedure was a success. Now the recovery begins, and with God’s strength, I will heal. The day after my surgery, my mother fell at home and broke a bone that will not mend easily. She is in a great deal of pain, and yet, the Lord is right beside her, every step of the way. Sometimes I don’t understand why things happen the way they do. Just at the time when she needs me most, I am unable to help her. Maybe there is a greater plan here which I do not yet understand. One thing I know for certain – God is good, especially in the tough times of our lives, and His love endures forever.

The medications I take to help with pain make me weepy. I seem to have a bottomless well of tears rising up from seemingly out of nowhere. My husband hates it when I cry. It makes him sad to see me sad. Even in our tears, we can laugh, knowing God is wiping every tear away and He will bring us great joy in the morning. Jeff did a really sweet thing for me last night and I just wanted you to know what his random act of kindness meant to me. I fell asleep in the Lazy Boy® recliner yesterday afternoon and didn’t wake up until 3:30 this morning. By then, I had missed two doses of medication and, as you might imagine, I was in excruciating pain. Hobbling back to the bedroom, moaning every step of the way, Jeff crawled out of bed to find my medicine. He tucked me into bed and put on my favorite Christmas CD. The first sounds I heard were the sound of church chimes ringing from a distance. Soon, my sobbing turned to tears of joy as I heard tenor Josh Groban sing of my Savior’s birth. Like a beautiful lullaby, I fell asleep listening to the Scripture sung in perfect harmony. What a wonderful reminder of the gift of new life that is given each and every day for all who believe.

Even though I cannot be physically present with my mother every minute of the day, I have His promise that He has not forsaken her. She hears the same beautiful melodies that I am listening to now. We are not alone, especially in times of suffering.

On this day, I am thankful for my Lord Jesus Christ. He is good and His love endures all things, forever and ever. Be thankful with me and rejoice, for we are not alone. We have a Savior and He loves us with a love that will not let us go.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: