Friday, November 20, 2009

A gooey mess of sin

Today’s Reading: Matthew 8:24-25 NIV

24 Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against the house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

Good morning!

Reluctantly, my husband Jeff brought me a chocolate protein shake that I asked for while lying in bed and he handed it to me with a stern warning, “Now Deb, do not fall asleep before you drink it.” I heard him say the words, and I really meant to heed them, but just a few short minutes later, I found myself covered from head to toe in cold chocolate goo. Why do we listen yet refuse to obey? What keeps us from following the good instructions our Daddy gives us?

Jesus gave us great instructions for living. His words were clear and plain. I don’t know whether we’re simply tone deaf, too tired to pay attention, or just plain sin sick, but often, we ignore the rules and find ourselves soaked in a gooey mess of trouble. I was pretty embarrassed when my youngest son came to check in on me that morning and found me sound asleep in a pool of chocolate. He must have thought that was some crazy dream I was having. Who wouldn’t want to jump into a vat of yummy chocolate and swim around in it for awhile? The problem with chocolate is that it stains everything it touches. My sheets were ruined. My favorite pajamas had to be tossed. It took two shampoos to get it all out of my hair, and believe me, it is so hard to raise the arm I just had surgery on to wash my hair, that I was truly regretting my silly mistake before I was washed completely clean.

There are no silly sins in life, but we are often silly in perpetrating them. Jesus tells us to listen and we somehow forget to listen and follow His instruction. If we would just do what we were told, we wouldn’t find ourselves in such a sticky mess.

The next time your husband tells you not to drink a chocolate protein shake in bed, be sure to pay attention. And the next time Jesus tells you to hear His Word and put it into practice, do the right thing, and obey His Word.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: