Thursday, April 09, 2009

No greater love

Today’s Reading: John 21:18 (NIV)

[Jesus said] 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”

Good morning!

Have you ever been led to a place where did not want to go?

Sometimes people choose the harder path, knowing the consequences may cost them their jobs, disrupt their family life, and maybe even place themselves in harm’s way. We look at the courage of our men and women in military service, and find ourselves amazed at their deep desire to serve and protect our country’s freedoms and the people who live in its land. There is no greater sacrifice than when someone lays their life down to save another.

When I was younger, I made decisions about how I wanted to live my life. I fell in love and married my high school sweetheart, postponing college for myself and I worked to pay for his tuition while he earned his Bachelor and Master’s degrees. I often think about how much easier it might have been had I earned my college degree when I was younger and had a lot more physical energy! I chose a line of work that, in many ways, has taught me the importance of integrity, dedication, and perseverance to the task at hand. Still, there have been times when I would have much rather walked away than stayed. Something deep inside held me to the commitment I made. Do you ever wonder where that deep determination to hold on comes from, even in the most difficult of circumstances?

The disciples didn’t know that Jesus was referring to His imminent suffering and death. They didn’t know their great teacher and miracle worker would soon become the Lord and Savior of the world. Christ knew that His death and resurrection was necessary in fulfilling His Father’s plan for salvation. He willingly left His throne in heaven out of obedience and love for His Father. Jesus became fully human, and fully God. His entire earthly life and ministry prepared Him for the moment of His death and physical resurrection from the grave. He willingly took on the sins that separate man from a holy and perfect God, knowing that He too, would suffer separation and torment. Christ conquered that sin and freed us from our eternal bondage. Did He want to walk this road? Jesus chose to go there out of His perfect love for you and me.

My prayer for you is that you will experience Christ’s perfect love as we walk through this Holy Week together. There is no greater love than the love of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: