Monday, April 06, 2009

Food for thought

Today’s Reading: John 21:16 (NIV)

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon, son of John, do you truly love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

Good morning!

When Jeff and I were first married, every now and then, I would ask him, “Honey, do you love me?” I guess he knew the answer I was hoping to hear when he would respond, “You know I love you!” We begin to understand what love really is, not just by the words we say, but in the way we choose to live it out each day.

How do you know when someone really loves you? We often recognize signs of love through the little kindnesses we experience in life. Someone calls just to see how you are doing; an unexpected email arrives with a message from a long-time friend. We express our love by how we choose to treat others in public and in private. Take time today to be especially aware of how you intentionally show love to the people whom God has placed in your path. Will they see Jesus living in you?

Simon Peter was a bit perplexed when Jesus asked the very same question a second time. Of course, Peter loved the Lord! Jesus replied, “If you really love me, you will care for my sheep.” Jesus places the responsibility that comes with real love squarely upon our shoulders. It is not enough to simply say we love Him if we are not willing to follow through with intentional acts of kindness and care.

So, who are Christ's sheep? They are the people Jesus came to save.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: