Sunday, April 05, 2009

Feeding the hungry

Today’s Reading: John 21:15 (NIV)

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you truly love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

Good morning!

Do you know for certain what the Lord is calling you to do each day? For me, the answer is clear – I am called to feed the hungry.

There are a lot of hungry people out there. People are out of work; families have no money to buy food to feed their children. There is a greater need than ever before – food banks are struggling to handle the increased need. At Faith Church, our Missions team took on a ministry model of our sister church, First UMC in St. Charles. We filled zip lock bags with juice boxes, water, fruit cups, crackers and other non-perishable items, asking our congregation to carry them in their car. When they stop at an intersection where someone is looking for food, we have something tangible to hand them, along with a blessing and prayer for their lives. I gave my very first bag to a deaf woman whose signage read that she was trying to feed her family. What would you do if you knew your children were hungry? Would you be willing to stand in the street and ask for help?

Jesus knew all about humanity’s hunger. He had carried their hunger and great need to the cross, when He bore our sin. He didn’t just take a little of it – Jesus carried it all to the cross and clung there in agony to free us from our eternal starvation. Now that His mission was accomplished, Christ turns to His beloved and asks, “Do you really love me? If so, then get out there and feed the hungry.”

People are starving for food, both physical and spiritual. It is up to you and me to feed them. There are moments when I hear their cries for help in the middle of the night, and I know in my heart what I am called by Christ to do. Will you help me feed the hungry today? Come and worship the Lord Jesus Christ with me at Faith Church this morning! Pick up a bag of food to share with someone in need, and let us look for intentional ways to reach out and make an everlasting difference. We can do this better together.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: