Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The love note

Today’s Reading: John 21:17 (NIV)

17 The third time He said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”

Good morning!

My mother’s hearing is all but gone now. She made a decision several months ago to forego the frustration of wearing hearing aids. Mom says that in public, they can be a real nuisance because the sound is so loud that all she hears is noise, with no clarity. I do think the hearing aids help her in quiet rooms and participating in one-on-one conversations; yet, she insists it makes no difference. Maybe it is wishful hope on my part. I end up repeating every sentence to her at least twice, sometimes three times, before she understands what I’m trying to say. It can be frustrating for both of us. I do not have a loud, resonating voice, so I have to work extra hard to get her to understand me. It is almost impossible to speak to her while I’m driving. She cannot hear me at all, unless she can see my lips moving.

Even Jeff and I struggle to communicate. His hearing deficit and my scattered brain sometimes gets in the way of our understanding each other completely. Fortunately, he hears me well with his hearing aids. On the other hand, there seems to be no fix for my comprehension deficit! I’ve learned that talking with him in the morning is probably not a good thing, especially if I need him to remember something important that I've tried to convey. We started using post-it notes on the bathroom mirror to help us communicate effectively with each other. A Post-It® note is an awesome way to convey a message and know for sure your hubby will see it before he shaves! Sometimes the note is as simple as, “I love you.” There is no greater or more welcomed morning message than this.

Peter was really frustrated. He probably wondered whether Jesus had his spiritual hearing aids on and turned up. Three times Christ asked the question, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Three times, Peter answered, “Lord, you know I do!” Why do you think Jesus asked this question over and over again? We sometimes think that our pat answers are clear, when we actually have no earthly idea what it is we are saying. What does it mean to love the Lord? And if we love the Lord with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our mind, and with all our strength, what does that love require in return?

Jesus’ reply was straight forward and to the point. “If you really, really love me, YOU will feed my sheep.”

Who will you share the Gospel with today? It is the Father’s love letter to the world. If you find yourself struggling to communicate the message, be sure to take some Post-It® notes with you. A love note from the Lord is a priceless treasure.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: