Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The sweetness in silence

Today’s Reading: John 5:25 (NIV)

25 I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

Memory Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7 ESV)

Good day!

My mother has said I’ve been blessed with the gift of gab. I chattered from the moment I got up in the morning until I lay my head down on the pillow at night. My favorite baby doll was Chatty Cathy®. She was the first of many dolls who could talk back to me. My husband of thirty years will confirm I never grew out of that “chatty” phase. He has this furrowed brow look, and I see every now and then, when he simply wants me to shut up. God love him! I wonder if he knew just how much time he would spend listening to me chatter when he said, “I do.” It’s my fault he has to wear hearing aids now. I’ve literally talked his ears off.

A wise and discerning pastor once said, “If you want to hear God, you must first be willing to listen.” We get so very busy, caught up in the chatter of our days that we don’t realize we are dying on the vine. We cannot hear God’s voice if we do not stop and listen. I’ve been studying the spiritual gift of solitude. Solitude is a spiritual discipline that has to “grow on you,” especially if you like to chatter. My favorite time of day is between 4 and 5am. In the early morning hours, just before the sun comes up, I enter into His holy presence with praise and prayers of confession, repentance and intercession. Then, I sit and wait. It is in the waiting I feel closest to my Lord. I can sit for an hour and experience the breath of His love. It is in this silence that I experience His peace that passes all understanding and it guards my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. His Word is the only words I hear. I look for the morning light to come, knowing the Father has already planned for my steps for this day.

When we’ve died to our sin and have been raised with Christ through the power of His blood, we will hear His voice and live! His peace waits for you in sweet silence. This is your moment to be still and listen to God.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

I can hear You speak when I stop and listen. Thank you Jesus, for Your holy presence in the silence of this day. Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.