Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Remixing His message

Today’s Reading: John 5:24 (NIV)

24 I tell you the truth; whoever hears My word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

Memory Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7 ESV)

Good day!

I take the gift of hearing for granted; yet, I’m more cognizant of its benefits now that I’ve begun to actually lose it. I just don’t hear as well as I used to. It is especially noticeable when I’m in room with lots of noise, or if someone is whispering, and I can’t make out their words.

Jesus said that if we are to receive eternal life and not be condemned, we must do two things: hear and believe. It’s not just enough to hear something – we must believe it in our hearts. Preachers can preach until they turn blue in the face; but if we choose not to believe what they’re saying, it does no good. We can read the pages of our Bible over and over again; yet, if we pick and choose what we accept or reject, the Word cannot penetrate our lives. We all enjoy hearing about God’s unending love and favor for all. He is also a God who angers against a sinful and hard-hearted humanity. Some things are easier to accept than others. Christ calls us to hear Him and believe what He says is The truth.

I’ve decided that I make a really lousy witness for Jesus Christ. I say I believe, but then I don’t follow through. Or I say I believe the things I want to believe, and pay little attention to the words that I really don’t want to hear. I read His Word, but don’t practice His teachings every day. I tell of His love, mercy and grace, while harboring resentment, frustration, and unforgiveness inside. Like Paul, I am the worst of sinners – a complete hypocrite. You know, there are times when I wonder why God would even bother using someone like me to share the Good News. Do you ever wonder about that? He continues to speak to my heart, even in my gross imperfections. He covers me with His blood. Christ takes my hearing impediment and lack of faith and transforms it by His grace. God’s love is greater than any love we can even begin to comprehend. He loves us so very much that He sent His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).

Today, I’m praying for an extra measure of Christ’s mercy and grace. I’m asking forgiveness for only hearing what I want to hear and picking the Gospel apart – choosing what I will and won’t believe. I’m praying for His forgiveness for trying to remix His Message in such a way that is appealing to my own personal preferences and desires.

Lord, have mercy; Christ, have mercy; Lord, have mercy.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me. I believe you, Lord! Help my unbelief. Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.