Friday, January 25, 2008

The seventy-year itch

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 64:4 (NIV)

Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him.

Dear Father, you know how I like the challenge of a fixer-upper. I try to fix the things that are broken. But here I am Lord, broken before You this morning, and I need You to fix me up. You know how I don’t like to wait. Of all the sins I’ve ever committed, waiting for You has been the greatest weakness in my life. I want to wait for You, Lord; really I do; but not really. If I really wanted to wait, I wouldn’t run out ahead of You, seeking an alternative route. I like having Plans A, B and C in place. I’ll plan to Z if You’ll let me (and You always do), but it does me no good if I’m not willing to wait for You. Teach me how to wait in Your holy presence today. Can I just sit here for awhile and experience Your peace?

I admit I have the seventy-year itch, Lord. Jeremiah once prophesied Your Words, “When seventy years are completed in Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:10-13). Jeremiah’s prophecy in the midst of what seems to be an unmovable mountain gives me hope for a brighter day. I’ll be seventy years old in twenty years, eleven months and six days, but who’s counting? Help me, Lord. Teach me how to wait patiently for You. Help me discern Your will for my life in this moment, for this day.

You created an awesome woman when you made my Mom. She is the most patient person I’ve ever known. She’s waited a long time to see her prayers answered. I would have loved inheriting that spiritual tenacity from her. Do you ever get tired of hearing me moan, dear Lord? I have some affinity for my Israelite relatives. They walked in the wilderness for forty years; yet, here I am on the seventy-year track. Teach me how to wait for You - even if it means I must wait seventy-times-seven years. Oh Lord, if I’m going to have to wait that long, I will need Your holy heart to survive. Create in me a new heart, O Lord, and renew a right spirit within me.

I’ve been dialing 911 a lot lately. Thank You for always answering when I dial Daddy 911. It is Your love that draws me back to You, even when I’m not very patient. You bring comfort to me each morning, with every single breath, walking with me every step of the way. You wait, knowing I will seek Your face, asking for mercy and forgiveness and grace. When I don’t understand why, You hold me, and it is enough. This is Your master plan for my life. I was created to worship and glorify You. You are all I need for this day and for every tomorrow. You hold my life and for the ones I love in Your hand. Help me learn sweet patience as You make it all happen in Your time.

At the end of this, my seventy year itch, I know it will be Your love alone that heals my broken heart. Today I experience a taste of perfect love, and You lift me high above the chatter in this world. Your love has the power to heal every broken and hurting heart. You are the Great fixer-upper. I don’t have to try so hard Lord, because You already have it in hand. Thank You for helping me let go.

I’m ready to wait for You now. Teach me to wait patiently.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

You have a master plan for me and my kin. Teach me to wait patiently in You as you bring it all to pass. In Jesus’ precious name, I pray, Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.