Monday, January 21, 2008

Learn something new? Follow through.

Today’s Reading: John 5:19 (NIV)

19 Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth; the Son can do nothing by Himself; He can do only what He sees His Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.

Memory Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7 ESV)

Good day!

“Ah ha!” moments seem to come in groups of three. And the Good Lord has to work extra hard to make it stick in my thick skull. I learned something significant about myself this weekend, and how I often fail at imitating Jesus Christ in my life. This is definitely a paradox worth exploring.

I heard three great messages this weekend about what it looks like to be radically hospitable to others, especially in our churches. Mulling over the Bishop’s comment on Saturday at the Conference Office, I remembered his words, “When congregations first examine the five practices of fruitful congregations, they will believe they are doing it all right… but they are not.” At first, I thought that was an unusual statement; but then I wondered if I was exactly the kind of person he was describing in his remark. Like most mathematical equations, his words were not calculating correctly in my tiny little brain.

On Sunday morning, I listened with great interest as our assistant pastor told “a tale of two churches,” and the story of a missionary friend. He came by invitation to observe and participate in a Christian congregation for three months, sharing his observations of how their church was faring in outreach ministry efforts. This particular church apparently had “state-of-the-art” everything, and they lacked nothing inside their walls to create a warm and welcoming environment for their honored guests. They only thing missing was their guests. Then, the pastor asked, “Who did you bring with you to church today?” I glanced at the empty space next to where I was sitting and thought to myself, “Why didn’t I phone my neighbors and last night and invite them to worship? Yikes! I could have made a five-minute phone call.” I’m always happy to be at Faith Church! The sermon was great, and there was plenty of comfortable seating space for others. Sitting there, I realized I had failed to offer radical hospitality simply by neglecting to invite someone else. God was serving me an Ah hah! moment, right there in the pew. I think I tried to shrink down in my seat just a little bit more, but I couldn’t escape my pastor’s eyes. How do pastors do that? It’s like they bore holes into your very soul. Sometimes its easier just to close your eyes and pray really hard they won’t call on you to speak!

And if that wasn’t enough fun for one morning, I stayed for the next worship service, and found a place up front to sit, next to a dear friend who had been visiting her daughter for several months. This was Sylvia's last Sunday at Faith Church before she returned home, and I wanted to be with her today. Her presence has been such a blessing to me, and I know I’m going to miss having her worship with us at Faith Church. The pastor was smack dab in the middle of an awesome message on how we can show radical hospitality, when suddenly, I noticed a visiting couple sitting across the pew, as their toddler slip off the padded pew and hit his head on the offering envelope rack. I knew from his muffled screams that the little boy was hurt. His mother lifted him up into her arms and quickly whisked him to the back of the sanctuary. I sat there frozen for about ten seconds. What should I do? I knew there were ushers and greeters in the foyer to offer assistance. At that moment, my pen ran out of ink. I closed my Bible and made a hasty exit to the back of the building. There, I found our guest, standing in the corridor, rocking her son while he wailed. It was an awkward moment – the ushers were there, but here was our honored guest with no place to sit and she was holding her hurting child. I immediately went up to her and offered to get her a chair and asked if he was okay. I looked at the crying child and said, “What’s your name?” “Adam,” he replied between screams. I said, “Adam, do you have an owwee? Would you like some ice for your boo boo?” Immediately, that grandmotherly instinct kicked in. What would I want for my grandchild if they hit their head on the pew during worship? Ice! The young mother looked at her son and said, “Would you like some ice, honey?” “Yesssssss,” he cried. I ran as fast as I could to the kitchen to get a baggie with some ice and paper towels. Mother seemed genuinely grateful for the ice, and after a few minutes, little Adam stopped crying. I returned to the sanctuary and sat down next to my friend. Picking up my pen, I was delighted to see it was working just fine!

Only God can take the paradoxes of our lives and turn them for His good. Jesus walked the earth, imitating His Father, every step of the way. Because we love Christ, we too must learn to how to imitate Him, not only with our words, but in actions. I realized those sermon notes will not do me one bit of good if I don’t practice them myself.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Thank you Lord! You love me unconditionally. Help me to always ask the question, What would You do, and then do it. Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.