Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thankful Heart

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Deuteronomy 12, 13, 14; Psalm 50

Psalm 50:14-15 (NIV)
14 “Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, 15 and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you will honor me.”

Colossians 3:15-17 (NIV)
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Good morning!

A thankful heart is a beautiful thing. Do you know someone who lives in constant thanksgiving and praise? Their joy, even in the most difficult of situations, can be infectious. Through the years, I’ve been blessed to meet some really thankful and happy people of God. They are the ones who find happiness in the little joys of everyday living. They share a peace that cannot be quenched. There is no way to humanly manufacture the joyful spirit they walk in each day. Their peace is a precious gift from the Lord, and it dwells with them as they seek His holy presence in daily prayer and praise.

I enjoy taking my grandchildren to the park to play. It is fun to watch the joy creep across their faces as we near the swing set and slide. Pure happiness seems to simply invade their space as they run and jump and play in the bright sunlight. Just when I think that their energy level has reached a combustable peak, they move to the next level. The happier they are, the harder they play. Running, laughing and shouting, there is no greater joy than watching a child express their happiness on the playground of life. When it is time to leave the park, my grandchildren do not want to go. They are happy and content there. Sometimes, I’ll carry a large blanket and a picnic basket filled with peanut butter sandwiches, deviled eggs and lots of bottled water. We’ll find a shady spot underneath a large oak tree where we can have a snack and enjoy the view. With tiny sweat beads running down their faces, my happy and contented grandchildren stop to rest awhile in the shade. It reminds me of what it is like to experience the joy He gives when I spend time worshipping and praising His name.

It is really hard to be unhappy when I take a serious look at where I’ve been and where I’m going. Because of God’s saving grace, my life will never be the same again. All of the things that used to trap me in places of despair and loneliness no longer exist. I feel His holy presence surround me every minute of the day, even in the most difficult and trying moments. I can run to Him with a thankful and joyous heart. He allows me the privilege of coming into His holy presence, as I lift up my praise and worship to Him. He fills my heart with pure joy, and sometimes I tingle from the tips of my toes to the top of my head as His Spirit consumes me. The love Christ is a shelter that remains with me twenty-four hours a day. I have learned that if my joy disappears because of someone’s harsh words or an unfortunate situation, it is only because I took my eyes off of the Lord. Humans cannot steal the joy of the Lord away from those who know and love Him unless we let them. He will never let you go. We need to make a conscious decision every morning to focus our heart and mind upon His plan and purpose for our life. When we honor the Lord with songs of praise and thanksgiving; when we pray for His will and not ours, trusting Him to lead us out into the world to tell others what the saving blood of Jesus can do for them, He gives us a thankfulness and peace that is indescribable.

Do you know the Lord and giver of new life? Let me tell you about my Jesus. The peace that comes from knowing Him will change your life forever. Won’t you come with me today and experience true joy in the wonder of His love?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the peace and joy that can only come from knowing the Lord Jesus Christ. Do you know Him today?
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.