Monday, March 05, 2007

Large and in charge

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Deuteronomy 6, 7, 8

Deuteronomy 8:6-9 (NIV)
6 Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in His ways and revering Him. 7 For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land – a land with streams and pools of water, with springs flowing in the valleys and hills; a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey; a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.

Good morning!

I am beginning to realize that I am definitely a direct descendant of the Israelites. I seem to have a lot in common with them, especially when I try control not only the direction of my own life, but the direction of all those around me. Sometimes I think if I could just make others do what I think they should do, this world would definitely be a much happier place [for me]. I’d be happier, because everything would work out my way, and we all know that my way is not only the right way, it is the only way! Where is that nail? Okay Lord, I’m squeezing it hard this morning.

God must have known what was about to become a commonplace attitude with the children He led through the wilderness. Have you ever noticed how easy it is to cry out to God when life is difficult? The Israelites wandered in that hot and dry desert for forty years. God provided them food, water, direction, encouragement, a set of laws to keep them healthy and happy and working together as a community of faith. During that time, the people grumbled and complained, and thought if they could just move on or go back, their life would get better. They didn’t like their leadership, they didn’t like the weather; they didn’t like their next door tent dwellers. Never satisfied, they sacrificed practically all their livestock just to keep themselves in an atoning spirit with the Lord. It just was never perfect enough, and many of them, just like me, thought they had a better plan. Ironically, even in those difficult moments of desert wandering, the Lord heard and answered their angry and self-centered prayers. At least they were praying. Do you pray angry prayers to God? Is that about the only time you give Him any attention at all?

God warned the people to not forget Him when life improved. He was leading them into a land, flowing with milk and honey. He was providing them a very special place to live. God was blessing His children not only with the necessities of life, but with abundant life. He knew they would turn away from the Him as life became easier, forgetting the Lord God Almighty all together. The Israelites might even try to take credit for the wealth and prosperity the Lord had graciously given them. Are you are large and in charge? Do you want to be? Do you find it easier to take control, or relinquish it?

More times than I can count, I have done exactly that. I’ve imposed my own will, not only on my family and friends, but I’ve demanded that God Almighty bow down to me. I expected God to give me everything I ever needed or wanted. Can I tell you a secret? I sometimes forget that God owes me absolutely nothing; yet, He chooses to equip me with everything I need to walk toward Him. When I look to the Lord, every minute of every day, and depend upon His Word and will for my life; when I stop trying to analyze and fix my family and every circumstance surrounding me; when I choose to focus my heart completely upon praising and obeying and glorifying the Lord, He fills me up with total peace and contentment. His love surrounds me like a warm, woolen blanket. I am happiest when I’m sitting in my Father’s lap, completely absorbed in His awesome beauty and majesty. The things around me just don’t seem so bad, as I continue to look into His magnificent face. His comfort and loving kindness sustain me, not only in the tough times, but when the journey is easier, and life is sweet.

Do you ever find yourself ignoring the Lord when things are running smoothly in your life? Do you take credit for something you really didn’t do? Would you prefer to be large and in charge, or are you willing to hand over the reigns to God? How many years will we have to wander around in the desert before we learn how to listen, obey and honor the Lord?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the Lord to shake you up, if that is what it takes, to get you to turn around and follow Him. Listen to the Word of the Lord this morning, and know that He is all you will ever need. He is leading all of us to a perfect place, where tears are wiped away, and His holy presence is all we long for. Why not give up your controlling nature and let the Lord lead for a change?
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.