Thursday, March 08, 2007

Grace Full

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Deuteronomy 15, 16, 17

Deuteronomy 15:7-11 (NIV)
7 If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. 8 Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs. 9 Be careful not to harbor this wicked thought: “The seventh year, the year for canceling debts, in near,” so that you do not show ill will toward your needy brother and give him nothing. He may then appeal to the Lord against you, and you will be found guilty of sin. 10 Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. 11 There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Romans 5:1-2 (NIV)
1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

Good morning!

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming a prima ballerina. I longed for the day when I would be able to stand tall in a pair of toe shoes and float like a feather across the stage. I imagined when I grew up that I would be tall and thin, with great dexterity and strong ankle support. My mother enrolled me in ballet and tap dancing lessons, and I danced for years. Every spring our dance troupe would perform on the stage of the American Theatre in downtown St. Louis. We would dance on the stage of the Admiral showboat, when the Admiral actually cruised along the banks of the Mississippi River. I was a vision in my leotard and tutu. My mother would spend hours weaving my long hair into a tight bun, adorned with satin ribbons and bows. I was the teapot, definitely typecast - short and stout with a matching handle and spout. My mother said I was cute! Most mothers think their children are cute. Actually, I think God must pay them to feel this way. A sad revelation began to emerge within my heart. When I stopped growing “up” at age thirteen, and remained just a smidge over five feet tall, I recognized that long, thin legs were not part of the package I would receive from the Father above. To add insult to injury, I was not flexible at all, and my ankles were weak. Toe dancing was an art from that I would have to enjoy from the front row seats of the theatre. Alas, my dancing days were numbered. After several years, I buried the dream in the back of the closet along with the ballet slippers I once wore.

I’ve not always been a graceful person. Fumbling, mumbling and stumbling is a much better description of my daily walk. I tend to trip and fall a lot. It might help if I watched where I stepped, but that might be too easy. Grace is a funny thing. I have found that true grace is an undeserved gift from the Father above. Try as I might, it is something I will never be able to earn.

The Lord instructed His children to be graceful with each other. Every seven years, the Israelites were to cancel each others’ indebtedness, with a stamp that reads – PAID IN FULL. To forgive someone completely after providing seven years of support, food, land, clothing, and all the necessities of daily living, might seem like an impossible thing to do. Grace is extended to a poor and needy brother or sister, who has nothing with which to begin to repay their indebtedness to you. The Lord called His children to not only forgive them, but to do it without bearing a grudge. Are you good at forgiving the indebtedness of your neighbor? Do you place value added on the people you know, based solely upon their worldly possessions or the size of their investment portfolio? Are they more valuable to you than a poor, homeless heart? Who would you rather be in relationship with? Which person would you choose to befriend? Which person are you willing to serve?

No matter how much I wanted to dance, I could not physically make myself grow the long legs I needed to do the job well. I wanted to be tall, but I’m not. When Jesus Christ came to the earth, He looked for short people just like me to love on. He looked way beyond my physical attributes, skill sets, worldly possessions, and even my sharp and rough edge. Jesus looked upon my heart and proclaimed that I was worth His return. He was willing to lay down His very life just for me! He took my sin upon Himself and died on the cross of Calvary so I could live forever free! He gave me new legs upon which I stand in faith. It is only by his grace that I live today. He made me Grace Full when he took my indebtedness and stamped it PAID IN FULL with his blood.

I will never be a prima ballerina, but I can choose to dance before His holy throne today, singing praises to the One who lives and reigns! Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, is the Way, the Truth and the Life. He can be your way, your truth and your life, if you call upon Him this morning in faith. Let the Lord forgive your sin, free you to live, and give you a grace-filled life. He exemplifies the great Jubilee. Our Lord forgives us when we call upon His name in faith, humble ourselves, confess our sin, and turn around. He bears no grudge. Praise Jesus Christ, our Lord!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: Jesus to fill you with His love, forgive your every sin, and free you for Grace Full living today. Come and join in the dance of the redeemed!
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.