Sunday, March 04, 2007

Mirrored Reflection

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Deuteronomy 4, 5; Psalm 49

I Corinthians 13:12 (NIV)
12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

James 1:22-25 (NIV)
22 Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
23 Anyone who listens to the Word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror
24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
25 But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it – he will be blessed in what he does.

Good morning!

Standing at the bedroom mirror in my childhood home, I rechecked my appearance one more time. I wondered if he will like me - what will this boy see when he looks at my face today? Who is he really? I wonder what he believes? Does he have faith? Will I see it in his eyes? Is there more to him than mere good looks, a kind disposition and sweet-smelling cologne? On March 4, 1974, I went on my very first date. The sun was shining and it was a perfect Saturday to have lunch and shop with a new friend. I remember this moment as if it were just yesterday. That young man who dared to ask me out for a lunch date is the gentleman who now sits on the sofa with me every night. Thirty-three years ago today, I took his hand in mine. I still cling to his guiding hand today. I married Jeff because I saw something much greater while looking at his mirrored reflection. I found the love of Jesus Christ radiating from his heart, and it was that love that made all the difference for me.

Jeff gave me a very special card this morning. It said, “When you look into the mirror today, I want you to see the same beautiful face I see whenever I look at you.” We have looked at each other for a long, long time. That very first date has carried us through thirty years of marriage. Jeff has seen me at my worst and best. He has stood with me in all accomplishments, and held me close as I mourned my many failures. He loves me when I’m not very lovable. He listens to me when I speak. He hears and understands the words I say; although I must admit it is easier to communicate with him now if he uses a hearing aid! His passion and compassion for me never seems to end. Jeff walks with me; we grow together every day in love, sharing the blessings of family and friendship. I am no longer a fifteen-year old girl. The only resemblance I bear to the exuberant child I once was is held captive in the recesses of my heart song. How is it possible that my husband can still see it when he looks through the mirrored glass at my face? Could it be that even in this stage of my life, the beauty of our first love is an everlasting and timeless art form? Will the look on my face always remind him of the child within? As he looks at me through the mirrored glass of time, will He always see the love of Christ radiate from my heart?

What do you think God sees when he looks at you? Whose reflection do you carry into the world each morning? In our Lord’s eyes, we are His perfect creation, even as we are perfectly flawed. We bear the lifelines of experience and the marks of age upon our faces. The scars that are left from the hurts we have experienced can cloud even the brightest light. Our life’s choices continue to shape our daily walk. Is it possible that God looks beyond the present circumstance and sees the exuberant child He fashioned in His hand long ago? When you look in the mirror this morning, will you see the perfection of the Lord radiating from your face?

Lord Jesus, help me never to forget your perfect law, your teaching and command to go and share the Good News! I invite you this day, and every day, to come and live within my heart. May the light of your perfection and the joy that comes from knowing you wash over me, filling me afresh with your sweet Holy Spirit. I ask that you to take my mirrored reflection and mold it into whatever you would have me be. I will always be your exuberant child, even as I grow in grace and maturity. Thank you for loving me in every facet of my life. Help me to see what you see in me as you look at my mirrored reflection. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the Lord to reveal His perfect love for you as you look in the mirror this morning. What will the world see when they look at your face today? Will they see Jesus in you? I’ll be looking for your face at church!
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.