Monday, December 25, 2006

The Shepherd's Staff

Psalm 23:4 (NIV)
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Luke 2:8; 15 (NIV)
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.
15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

Merry Christmas!

The sanctuary at Faith Church was more beautiful last night than I had ever seen it before. The building architecture lends itself to a worshipful experience. When I first stepped into this sanctuary six years ago, I was immediately drawn to the presence of the Holy Spirit hovering above. It is no coincidence that this precious congregation bears the name, “Faith Church.” It is a perfect description of the family I have come to know and love. I have witnessed many souls come to Christ at the altar of Faith. I, along with countless others, have knelt for Holy Communion, recommitting our lives to Jesus Christ, repenting of sin, and feeling His forgiveness wash over us time and again. I have sat in its pews and observed the wedding ceremonies of many precious couples. Two of my children were married at Faith church. I’ve watched in awe as their children were presented for holy baptism. I have heard the testimonies of God’s great mercy within the walls of this sanctuary. I have listened to the prayers of the people. I have stood at the altar with a choir of angels, singing praises to the one who deserves all glory and honor. There is no place I would rather be than in this very room tonight, watching and waiting for the arrival of our infant King.

As I knelt in prayer before the Lord, I saw the sun fade into darkness, and the mystery of this holy night fall across the room. I gazed at the lights beaming brightly from the beautiful Chrismon tree, and marveled at the beauty of each burning candle. The tiny flames resembled angels, dancing for joy at the birth of Lord Jesus. I held the tiny Christ from the manger bed in my hand, and my heart was filled with thanksgiving for the greatest gift of all. This is the night we remember how our Lord came into the world, bringing light and life to all people. Would we see Him for who He truly is tonight? Will we begin to understand the magnitude of His amazing gift of His salvation?

I could not help but notice the Shepherd’s staff, nestled amid a sea of flaming red poinsettias, near the pulpit where the pastor would speak. It stands as a reminder of our Father’s loving hand, protecting and guiding us every day. From the pew, the Shepherd’s staff was difficult to see; as I approached the altar, the staff took on a distinct and holy presence. I found myself drawn to its simple beauty. The Shepherds carried a staff to rescue their sheep, which may have gone astray or were caught in thorny bushes. The staff is extended to the lambs who had slipped and fallen through the cracks of the earth’s broken ground. The Shepherd’s staff provides support and balance to every weary traveler, suffering from exhaustion and despair. It is a reminder of our faithful and good Shepherd, who revives us day by day. We are never too far from His reach. His staff gently comforts and protects us as we travel toward the light.

It is my prayer that you will reach out and take hold of the Shepherd’s staff this Christmas Day. Let the wonder of the Christ child transform your life. He resides in the hearts of all who call upon His name in faith. He will never let you go. Let His staff comfort you today, tomorrow and forevermore. The Christ child was born for you and for me. He is our Good Shepherd, our Savior and King.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the Christ child to be born in your heart today. Reach out and touch the Shepherd’s staff, and be transformed by the power of His amazing grace, mercy and love.
_________________
© Copyright 2006, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.