Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Best Gift Ever

Acts 2:38-39 (NIV)
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off – for all whom the Lord our God will call.

Romans 3:22-24 (NIV)
22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.


Good morning!

I carry a small, shiny stone in my jacket pocket. I take it with me, everywhere I go. It is a tangible reminder of an incredible gift, given to me many years ago. I can feel the stone bouncing around in my jacket pocket. Occasionally, I will hold the stone in my hand, and remember with a grateful heart the best gift I have ever received.

Have you ever made a mistake – said or did something that you later regretted? Have you caused undue pain and hardship for someone else out of your own selfishness? Has anyone ever hurt you? Have you found yourself feeling resentful and defensive, afraid if you let your guard down for even a minute, you might get hurt again? These actions and consequences are the cause and effect of sin. When we sin, we miss the mark. There are times when we will make mistakes; and yet, the effect of our actions will leave a scar. There are other times when we choose to say or do something we know we shouldn’t. We do not think about how our words and our choices will affect the ones around us or how they may rip at our own heartstrings in the years to come. The Apostle Paul wrote that all of us have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. God is perfect and we are not. Our sin gets in the way of relationship with Him. What can we do to overcome our human condition?

Jesus Christ came for this very purpose. He knew our imperfections would divide us eternally from a relationship with God. Jesus willingly laid His life down for you and for me. He took the sins of the world and bore them on the cross of Calvary. His blood was shed to wash our sin away and free us from the things that bind us on earth. Through His gift of life, we can be free from the pain that sin brings. We can be free to forgive those who hurt us, and free to forgive ourselves for the mistakes we have made. The freedom that comes from confession, repentance and baptism is by far the very best gift I know. His forgiveness and love for me is overwhelming. I am free to be the child He has created me to be, and I am covered by His precious blood.

The stone in my pocket reminds me of the water that was poured over my head many years ago when I received the sacrament of Christian baptism. I took that stone from a pool of water during a worship service when I remembered my baptism and how God washed my sin away. I confessed my sin to the Lord and asked Him to forgive me. When I was baptized with water as a child, I received God’s amazing gift of His Holy Spirit. And as I continue to grow in grace, I rely more and more upon His Spirit to lead and direct my life. When I experienced the gift of salvation and the freedom that total forgiveness and grace brings, it was the most precious and tender moment of my life. Every time I touch that stone in my pocket, I remember, and His love washes over me like the baptism water that was poured over my life many years ago.

This is a very special weekend in the life of our grandchildren, Jett and Madison. They will receive the sacrament of Christian baptism tomorrow morning at Faith Church. Last summer, Jett asked Jesus to come into his heart and forgive his sin. I have watched the power of the Holy Spirit work in his young heart and I have seen him extend forgiveness for things that truly seemed unforgivable. Only the love of Christ can do something like this.

If you have never experienced the gift of salvation, Jesus holds a package in His hand with your name on it. Invite Christ to come into your life today. Confess your sin and tell Him you’re sorry for missing the mark. Ask Him to forgive you. He will do it! Then go and experience the freedom of new life through the sacrament of Christian baptism. There is new life waiting for you. Won’t you come to the water of life?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the promise to be fulfilled in your heart today. Experience the gift of rebirth through God’s salvation and the forgiveness that only Jesus Christ can give. He holds a special package with your name on the tag. Will you receive it?

____________________________
© Copyright 2006, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.