Friday, March 12, 2010

Hearing His Voice

Today’s Readings: Acts 13:34 NIV

34 [Paul said,] “The fact that God raised Him from the dead, never to decay, is stated in these words: ‘I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David.’”

Psalm 16:9-10 NIV

[David said,] “9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, 10 because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay.”

Good morning!

This was not the diagnosis I wanted to hear. The audiologist emerged from the soundproof booth with a look on her face that I have grown accustomed to. “The stroke has severely limited your mother’s ability to understand words,” she said. “I am going to try to tweak her hearing aids to help her as much as I can.” I knew what she meant. The best medical technology available cannot restore dead brain cells, no matter how much we want it for our loved ones. Nerve stimulators, pacemakers and hearing aids are all amazing medical technology. They give hope and help to the patient, but cannot in and of itself fix the problem. Our earthly bodies will not last forever. Spare parts wear out with time. Our ability to live life without limitation becomes harder as time passes.

Mom’s cognitive thinking was compromised the day she fell and broke her pelvic bone. It is uncanny to see how one adverse life event can instantly change our course of direction. When our physical bodies fail, it does not quench the life-giving spirit soaring within. Just like King David, we find real joy in knowing we are not alone: The Lord is our keeper, deliverer, comforter, and friend. He will never let us go, even as our bodies give way to earthly decay.

I’ve watched Mom struggle through the years to hear. It was frustrating at first, because I found myself repeating words over and over again. We would be driving together in the car, but I could not adequately communicate with Mom. She needed to see my lips move to fully understand what I was saying, and I couldn’t turn toward her enough to help. Raising my voice made no difference at all; it was just loud and irritating noise to her. Eventually, Mom grew to accept the silence that surrounded her. I thought it was a tragedy, until she told me how God speaks to her in the quiet. What a precious gift we have in Christ, knowing He is right there with us; we can hear Him speak, even as our physical bodies fail. Isn’t it amazing that even as the sounds of earth fade away, we hear the voice of the Lord clearly speaking to our hearts! Oh, to hear Jesus over the incessant chatter of life! What a gift!

When Jesus conquered sin and death through His miraculous resurrection, new hope was borne! We now see beyond our earthly decay, we hear His Word and know it to be true: Jesus will perfect our imperfections; we will receive new life washed in His blood; our souls restored to full health and wholeness. Our joy will be made complete as our understanding is set on His firm foundation alone. Christ’s peace will be our peace; the only thing we need rely on throughout this earthly journey and into all His eternal promise.

Mom’s faith in Christ alone gives me great joy, for I know she hears Him perfectly. Believe and receive the Lord Jesus Christ. He lives so that we may live in His fullness, even in our earthly imperfections. Won’t you trust Him completely for your new life today?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2010, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: