Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Gift of Adoption


Today’s Reading: Acts 13:32-33 NIV

32 [Paul said,] “We tell you the good news: What God promised our fathers 33 He has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm: ‘You are my Son: today I have become your Father.’”

Good morning!

The greatest gift of all is the gift of adoption. When I was a little girl, my mother used to sit me on her lap and tell me just how special I was. She said, “Most mommies and daddies go to the hospital and have their babies. They do not get to pick and choose. But we got to go to the hospital and pick you out of the crowd!” And this was very true – my folks got a call from a social worker indicating that I had been born prematurely and would remain in the hospital for a period of time. Would they consider adopting me when I was well enough to leave the hospital? Not only did they agree, they got to go to the hospital and see me before I was released to the children’s home. Isn’t it amazing how the love of family can supersede our genetics?

I did not have my parent’s bloodline, but I certainly picked up many of their mannerisms through the years. Our son Benjamin reminds me a great deal of my father, whose name was Benjamin; yet, there is no genetic link whatsoever. Ben actually looks like my dad, walks like him, and sometimes he even acts like him. Our daughter Rachel married a man that resembles my dad in many ways. His hardworking nature and devotion to home is an uncanny reflection of my father’s life. My father kept a meticulous lawn, and my son-in-law is very particular about how his yard is kept throughout all seasons. Our son-in-law looks a lot like my husband, Jeff. In photographs, many of our friends think Dave is our son. We do have a son named David and he resembles Jeff’s dad, Clayton. Our son-in-law Dave looks like Jeff. Now isn’t that amazing!

My sister actually bears a great deal of physical resemblance to both of our parents, yet she was adopted too. Neither she nor I share the same bloodline, but we do share great love. We are about as different as daylight and dark. This was something that I thought might separate us, but I have learned through the years that we compliment each other far more than I would have ever imagined possible. You see, adoption makes us family, in spite of our unique differences.

When I was adopted into the family of God, I did not deserve such a great gift. I was a sinner in need of saving. God was my Father, just waiting to win my heart and take me in. Jesus, His Son, was the only One who could make us blood kin. I know, without a doubt, that I bore some resemblance to my heavenly Father, who made me, loves me, and welcomes me home through His Son, Jesus Christ. He is the Great I Am, and because He is, I live! The life I’ve been given continues to be such a blessing – and the people who are in my adopted family continues to grow exponentially every day. I have brothers and sisters all over the world who have been adopted into the family of God through the saving blood of Jesus Christ. If you have received Jesus as Lord and Savior, that makes us family. Isn’t that good news on a day like today?

Family is a gift from God. Regardless of whether you grew up in a happy home or a place filled with anxiety and turmoil, the life we share together can be healed with His love. We are amazed at just how precious the healing love of God can be when we see it cover our family, both biological and adopted. So undeserved and unworthy, riddled with mistakes and regrets, the love of Christ and His shed blood covers and unifies us all, even in the midst of diversity.

The best gift you will ever receive is adoption into the family of God. Won’t you ask Jesus Christ to become Lord of your life today? He can heal your family, mend your fences, and give you a whole new community of faith-filled believers to complete the person He has created you to be!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2010, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: