Monday, October 12, 2009

"Let your journey begin today"

Today’s reading Acts 9: 17 – 19: “ 17Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit." 18Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul's eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, 19and after taking some food, he regained his strength.”

After my first mission trip to Mexico, I was hooked. I had learned that I too could serve with what skills that I had and the Holy Spirit would provide the place. I have to admit, I was terrified crossing the border, praying for green light rather than red light so we would not be pulled aside to be searched. On each of the four mission trips to Mexico that I was part of, our luggage was filled with lots of different items for the community; clothes, diapers; medicine, books and more, items that could have caused an issue at the border. Only on one trip did our entire bus have to unload and walk through the line, but only a few were searched with no issues. Praise God!

I imagine Ananias was fearful just as I was when the voice came to him for his mission to go and greet Saul. Saul’s reputation preceded him and fear was in the minds of both Jew and Gentile. We know from these verses that Ananias indeed heard God’s voice and followed Him. His tender greeting of “Brother Saul” shows the compassion and genuine man of God that Ananias was.

In my life time I have had some disagreements with others that turned pretty ugly; some of you may have also. What I learned from those situations is that it takes time to heal, it takes time to regain trust, it takes time to see again, to see the real person inside and it takes time for the spirit to work. I have also found that it is worth every ounce of energy I put into it to experience the God ordained result. Which is what Ananias is witnessing, the God ordained baptism of Saul and his filling of the Holy Spirit. What a privilege for Ananias and those around him.

Saul was a religious man, well taught and feared the Christian movement would ruin Judaism. God was now ready to use all of Saul for the gospel. It is indeed a privilege to serve Jesus, to respond unconditionally to God’s calling; we are changed forever. No matter how religious we think we are how much we know about scripture and truth, the way we serve Jesus Christ, must be His way. We must serve the Lord with gladness and for the Glory of God.

Your missionary journey today is to go and share the gospel with someone. Will you say yes?

Dorothy Drago Brucks
Aldersgate UMC
Nixa, Mo.
www.aldersgatechurch.com

No comments: