Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Jesus is the Christ"

Today’s reading Acts 19:20 – 22: “Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus. 20At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. 21All those who heard him were astonished and asked, "Isn't he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn't he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?" 22Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Christ.”

For several years now, I have attended the Women of Faith Conferences, a weekend retreat of sort, with inspiring speakers and worship and praise music - a day and a half with other Christian women. A Walk to Emmaus weekend is a time away with other believers to re-vitalize your walk with Jesus and gain a better understanding of God’s grace. Saul too spent several days with the disciples, perhaps, learning about Jesus on a personal and spiritual level.

We all need energizing sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that. What is important is that we recognize when we need to draw nearer to the Lord and not ignore whatever signs there are that indicate we have this need.

I know I fall short of living the way that pleases the Lord. Perhaps time away with other disciples would help me free myself of judging others or complaining about people and circumstances that I find myself in. I tend to lean towards being an opinionated person and sometimes my expression isn’t that of living a Christ-like example.

What I desire, is that everyday someone might say, I see love in Dorothy, I see that she has compassion and a caring heart. I don’t want these things for me personally; I want them so that others see Jesus and not Dorothy.

Surrounding myself with other Christians’ feeds my soul, but if I only use that time for myself to grow, the ultimate purpose is wasted. We must be like Saul was at this juncture in his life; spend time with other disciples, grow spiritually and intellectually, go and share what Jesus has done for you and how your life has changed as a result. Share it in acts of compassion and kindness, being open and honest, humble yourself from pride and show love to others in genuine ways. Jesus will change the lives of others when they are introduced to Him. Don’t let them miss out because of your actions. Jesus is the Christ!

Dorothy Brucks
Aldersgate UMC
Nixa, Mo.
www.aldersgatechurch.com

No comments: