Thursday, January 15, 2009

Word Games

Today’s Reading: John 19:9 (NIV)

9 Pilate went back inside the palace. “Where do you come from?” he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.

Good morning!

Early in the morning, I would go to the kitchen to start breakfast, and my children would hear me rattling pots and plates and come join me, carrying a toy or two in their tiny hands. I’d ask them to take a seat at the table and wait patiently while Mommy prepared their oatmeal. Often, they would drop right at my feet, making it difficult for me to walk, and begin running their Matchbox® cars up the side of my flannel pajamas. Little Rachel would hold the doll in her arms just like a little Mommy, giving the baby a morning drink from her bottle. The beautiful silence of three peacefully sleeping children had been suddenly broken by an onslought of Word games. How many questions could they me ask in ten minutes? The contest was on! One of their most asked inquiries was, “Mommy, where did I come from?” Often, I would answer their question by asking another: “Rachel, who gave you those beautiful blue eyes? “God did,” she would say. “Benjamin, who gave you that sugary sweet smile?” “God did, Mommy,” he replied, grinning from ear to ear. “And Davey baby, who gave you an incredible life to live?” David would say with perfectly pronounced words, “God gives life, today, tomorrow and forever!” Turning, I would stop what I was doing and look squarely into the faces of my children. “Then where did you come from?” I would ask, with eyebrows raised. “From God!” they would shout, laughing and giggling as I reached down to tickle their bellies. They knew the answer before asking the question. Sometimes, I think we all just need a little positive affirmation.

I believe Jesus was just like any other inquisitive child, playing near the feet of His mother Mary, as she prepared flour to bake the unleavened bread each morning. Jesus always knew the answer before He asked a question because He is the answer! As a young boy, fully human and fully divine, I believe Christ’s intuitiveness was far and above the others. I can hear him asking His mother one simple, yet very complex question, “Where did I come from?”

How many times had Jesus answered this very question during His ministry? How could the people not know? Jesus knew that Pilate knew the answer before He asked. This was not an early morning breakfast conversation that Jesus wanted to have, and He was not in the mood to play Word games. Christ came to fulfill His Father’s will and this was the long-awaited moment of Truth. When Pilate asked the question, Jesus did not respond.

Do you know the answer? Do you know Jesus?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: