Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Change of Temperature

Today’s Reading: John 19:7-8 (NIV)

7 The Jews insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law He must die, because [Jesus] claimed to be the Son of God.” 8 When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid.

Good morning!

This is the time of year when I realize just how differently people experience life. I guess the weather can bring out the very best or worst in us, depending upon how we choose to react to it. I work with a group of incredibly gifted and talented people and we experience the physical work environment in vastly different ways. One of my co-workers never seems to get cold. In the summer time, she is always too warm. Yesterday when I arrived at work, she had propped the foyer door open because, to her, the work area was hot, and she was clearly uncomfortable. Everyone else in the department were wrapping up in sweaters, coats and shawls reacting to the freezing temperatures and cold blast of air. Isn’t it fascinating how two people can experience a temperature change so differently? As individuals, our internal thermostats are definitely unique.

Last night, I crawled into bed, burying myself under three heavy blankets and one quilt folded double. My husband sat on the other side of the bed on top of the sheets in his summer pajamas, trying to read, while fanning himself. He thought the bedroom was rather warm last night. Our internal thermostats are as different as daylight and dark. We live in the same house, in the same city, in the same state. How can he be too hot when I am freezing cold? How can I be so cold when he is literally burning up inside and out? The only warmth on my person this winter is the feverish foot I’m nursing. Since I’ve had foot surgery, my left foot remains swollen and hot, while my right foot is as cold as a block of ice. When my doctor told me that I should use ice packs on my sore and swollen left foot, I quickly realized that I didn’t need to employ a bag from the freezer. Now, I simply place one foot on top of the other, and the cold from my right foot penetrates the warmth in my left foot. I have learned how to multitask, especially this winter!

The folks in the courtyard were hot! Yet, hearts were frozen solid and yet they didn’t even realize it. How could the people not see the Truth when He was standing there right in front of them? Folks were far more interested in obeying the letter of the law than looking for its fulfillment. Pilate was scared, and he had every good reason to fear. He knew the decision to spare Jesus’ life rested squarely upon his shoulders. He was praying for a change of temperature; a sudden drop in the barometric pressure would have been most welcome on that particular morning. Humanity continued to grow more and more inconsolable as the Son rose up over the city that day.

This morning, I’m praying for a change of holy temperature in our hearts. We need to allow the Spirit of God to melt the frozen places in our lives, where we cannot see and experience the Savior’s love completely. Jesus has the power to take our hearts of stone and make them be hearts of flesh once again. Are you willing to let the Son of God bring a change of temperature to your heart? If you will just let Jesus in, He can and will change your life forever.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: