Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hearing Impaired

Today’s Reading: John 19:10 (NIV)

10 “Do you refuse to speak to me?” Pilate said. “Don’t you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?”

Good morning!

My mother has a very difficult time hearing over the phone. Several years ago, she received a telephone designed for the hearing impaired. Even with the volume set at the highest setting, she often cannot understand the person speaking to her at the other end of the line. When the telephone rings, it beeps and flashes at the same time, attempting to catch her attention in the room. We’ve discovered her ears work much better when her eyes can actually see the lips of the person speaking to her. My mother has become an expert lip reader!

It is tough trying to carry a conversation with Mom while driving the car. She wants me to look at her while I speak but it is often difficult, if not impossible, for me to turn to her while I am watching the roadway. Hearing aids and car noise do not seem to work well together. I think of how difficult it must be for her every day, and I am not looking forward to the day when I will struggle with the same hearing impairment. As it is now, I’m already frustrated with hearing clearly in noisy restaurants or conference rooms filled with lots of background noise. I have to work a little harder to listen to someone speaking, purposely blocking the noise in restaurants or during business meetings. One day, I may become completely dependent upon the help of a hearing device, and, as I’ve observed, it may or may not work. Because my vision is not even close to perfect, I wonder if I’ll be able to see well enough to read lips.

Obviously, Pilate was no lip reader. He wanted Jesus to say something in defense of the charges being leveled against Him. Yet, Jesus’ silence spoke louder than any verbal utterance. Pilate knew this man did not deserve crucifixion. Yet, he was too cowardly to cross the crowd and not give in to their persistent, relentless demands. Pilate was terrified he might lose face with the people, and, for him, favor in the political arena was far more important than listening to God’s Word.

We need a spiritual hearing aid today; ears that are willing to hear and understand the Word God speaks through His still, small voice. There is a lot of background static that tends to distract us from His Truth. In this culture, where we run and jump on the bandwagon of what seems to be most the most popular public opinion for the moment, we have seemingly grown spiritually deaf, unable to differentiate between right from wrong. Pilate needed a whole lot more than the power and authority he thought he held over the Master’s head; He desperately needed to hear the Master.

Father, give us spiritual ears today to fully hear and understand Your Word. Give us courageous hearts to listen and comprehend as we stand for Truth; knowing that Your Way is certainly not the way of the world. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: