Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cold feet

Today’s Reading: John 19:12 (NIV)

12 From then on, Pilate tried to set Jesus free, but the Jews kept shouting, “If you let this man go, you are no friend of Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.”

Good morning!

I woke up this morning with cold feet. In the wintertime especially, cold feet happens. At night, before I retire, I take a hot shower or bath to warm my feet up before I crawl under the covers. I sleep in thick socks and flannel pajamas, wrapped up in several heavy blankets and comforters. When our grandson Joshua was born prematurely six years ago, the NICU nurses at the hospital taught Rachel and Dave how to wrap their son in a “papoose” to help keep him warm when sleeping in his cradle. There are nights when I feel the need to be wrapped up just like that. Do you suffer with cold feet?

I heard God speak to me in prayer. Often, it is His still, small voice that captivates my soul as I enter into His presence each day. God is dealing with me on a matter of trust, teaching me how to lean completely upon His mercy and grace. He wants me to exercise eyes of faith rather than rely upon what I see and feel. As I waited in the dark silence today, I could hear His voice whisper over the clamor of all the interfering outside noises I deal with. Cold feet are rarely noticeable in the warmth of His love, except when I’m reluctant to trust and obey.

Has God ever called you to say or do something that you knew would bring public scrutiny and/or disapproval? Is it hard for you to do the right thing knowing you will be judged? Have you ever had a case of cold feet?

Pilate knew what He needed to do, but the clamor of the crowd and the ice-cold feeling he had in his toes kept him from doing what was right. Cold feet can interfere with our day-to-day decisions if we let it distract us. This morning, I’m choosing to ignore the fear I feel inside. My cold feet may turn to blocks of ice before this day is over, yet I have purposed in my heart to listen and obey the Word of the Lord. His love is more than enough to warm this hardened heart, and His love can restore circulation to my cold feet. His blood, shed for me, is the only cure I know for cold feet.

I trust you, dear Lord. Teach me to trust you completely today, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: