Saturday, April 26, 2008

Do you believe this?


Today’s Reading: John 11:24-25 (The Net Bible)

24 Martha said, “I know that he [Lazarus] will come back to life again in the resurrection at the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live even if he dies, 26 and the one who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”


Good morning!

Yesterday, our air flight carried us to a cruising altitude of 32,000 feet. We ascended high above the storms that were pealing across the St. Louis metropolitan area. I watched, awestruck, as streaks of lightening shot past our window pane. I could feel the turbulent winds shake the aircraft as it moved beyond the clouds and into a patch of bright sunlight. And oh, what a beautiful sight it was - high above those storm clouds. The lining of the cumulonimbus cloud formations coupled with the bright sea of sunshine reminded me of a hymn I learned as a child: “There’s a land that is fairer than day and by faith we will see it afar, for the Father waits over the way to prepare us a dwelling place there. In the sweet by and by, we shall meet on that beautiful shore.” The view from my seat in that airplane was spectacular! For the very first time, it was as if I could see heaven’s shore just over the way, shining in a place where there was total Son light. I sat back and closed my eyes, and asked God if this is how it will feel to be carried away one day to heaven. I am traveling with Him through the storm clouds of this life, one sweet day to suddenly feel the arms of my Lord lift me into the land that is fairer than day. God gave me a glimpse of the eternal on that airplane, and I will never forget it as long as I live.

Martha knew that her brother would one day rise at the resurrection of the last day. Then Jesus said the words that we hold so dear: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live even if he dies, and the one who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Today, we celebrate the resurrection and the life! This is the reason we have come to Fort Worth to join in the mighty chorus together! Yes, we believe that You Jesus, are the resurrection and the life, and we believe that even if we die, we live; and when we live and believe in You, we will never die! It is a gift of inexpressible mercy and grace, and it is a gift to be shared.

If you do not yet know Jesus Christ, I invite you to come and worship with me this weekend. There is a United Methodist Church waiting to greet you with open hearts, open minds and open doors. Won’t you come and join us as we celebrate the resurrection and the life today!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: