Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sleepy seeker

Today’s Reading: John 11:11-12 (NIV)

11 After [Jesus] had said this, He went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.” 12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.”

Good morning!

Are there times when sleep does not actually make you better? I had a very busy day last Sunday, and when I arrived at home at 5:30pm, I was tired. I needed a nap, especially if I was going to continue reading the course text required before the class scheduled on Monday. So I curled up on the sofa, flipped on the television, and kicked back while half listening to a teaching sermon. No offense to the pastor who was speaking, but his powerful presentation wasn’t able to keep me awake for long. If you’ve ever spoken in worship on Sunday morning and watched some of the people half snoozing through the message you are giving, then you may understand why I feel led to publicly apologize to that teaching preacher on television. It’s not your fault, really.

I woke up an hour later and a new pastor was preaching. I had trouble following his message too. I felt a little better at first, but then, as I sat there reading and writing, I began to feel really sleepy again. I finally turned off the television, changed into my pajamas and went to bed. Jeff was watching the movie “Moses” back in the bedroom. Well, he was kind of watching it, between snores. I curled up underneath the covers and my thoughts were redirected to the days of the first Passover, as I saw the mystery of faith unfold on the big screen. I think the movie went off the air around 12:30am and I had managed to stay awake and see the whole thing. I closed my eyes and took a power nap, awaking around 4am with a nasty migraine. I don’t think my taking a nap in the early evening hours actually made me any better, even though I’m sure my body needed it. What little rest I did receive had not re-energized me the way I had hoped.

The disciples somehow thought if sick Lazarus could just take a little nap and get some sleep, he would get better. Our bodies grow weary as we carry the burdens of each day. If we could just get an extra hour of sleep, all will be well. Yet, Jesus knew the only thing that would truly heal Lazarus was for Him to go and wake him up. We need Jesus to wake us up from our slumber today! He is the only source of strength we need to move forward by faith. Will you allow Christ to wake you up? He will give you the strength that you need to do what He has called you to do.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

1 comment:

Glimpses of Grace said...

You are a ray of sunshine.
Thank you for your devotional ministry.