Monday, April 28, 2008

There is no space quite like Hope's place

Today’s Reading: John 11:27 (TNIV)

27 “Yes Lord,” [Martha told Jesus], “I believe that You are the Messiah, the Son of God, who was to come into the world.”

Good morning!

When I arrived at the 2008 United Methodist Church General Conference in Fort Worth, Texas USA, I had no doubt where the Lord would have me invest my time and energy. I’ve been spending it in the prayer labyrinth located in the Exhibit Hall at the Fort Worth Convention Center. For months now, I have been preparing for this moment in time. My faith has been strengthened in the power and presence of the Holy Spirit as I walk the labyrinth each day. I find hope here.

This prayer labyrinth is constructed in the design of that found in the Chartres Cathedral near Paris, France. It is an eleven-circuit design divided into four quadrants. There are three parts in experiencing a prayer labyrinth: releasing (praise and confession), illumination (listening and receiving), and returning (home to Christ). There is only one way into the labyrinth and only one way out, which I find extremely meaningful in understanding the redemptive work of our Savior. The walk takes a pilgrim through many narrow paths, filled with many twists and turns, leading to the center. As we weave our way along the path, it is symbolic of one’s spiritual journey to the cross. I find great peace in praying the Scripture as I walk around each narrow turn. Because I am seeking His Word and will for my life and for the life of the church I love, my thoughts and words become insignificant; while His Word is all I long for. There is hope here; of this I am certain.

Around the perimeter of the prayer Labyrinth are eleven distinct stations, each display evoking a particular message of God’s grace and beauty. One of the prayer stations contains a tree, whose leaves bear the names of every annual conference around the world. It is a reminder of how we are united through Christ to be His body in the world today. Another display contains a beautiful depiction of the river of life, intertwined from many colorful fabrics. I can hear the river running as I sit on its bank to pray. There is no space quite like hope’s place.

When Jesus asked Martha what she believed, she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who was to come into the world.” As we journey together through life, it is my humble prayer that you find yourself on the path that leads to the cross. It is at the cross we find forgiveness for the sins we have committed, restoration of body, mind and spirit, and His peace that passes all human understanding. Place your hope today in the giver of new life. He is waiting for you to take your journey to the cross. Won’t you join me on a prayer walk today?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: