Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The breath of dawn

Today’s Reading: John 1:40-43 (NIV)

40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. 41 The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). 42 And he brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which translated, is Peter). 43 The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, He said to him, “Follow me.”

Memory Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7 ESV)

Good day!

The sentiment behind my simple greeting seems a bit understated. This is a GREAT day to be alive! Can you feel the breath of dawn blowing across your face? It is cold and windy this morning here in the Midwest. It would be hard to miss the breath of dawn today. The freezing temperatures outside remind me of the warmth of God’s love inside. His love can melt even the coldest heart. Yes my friends, this is going to be a great day indeed!

In case you did not know, I am a morning person. I delight in early mornings, when the parsonage is quiet and dark. All I hear is the wind whipping around the window panes in our study, and the drip of the coffee maker in my kitchen. I feel the heat kick on from the furnace in our basement, and it reminds me of how sometimes God must “jump-kick” His love inside me each day. I wake up each morning to His quiet welcome. He beckons, “Come, Deb. Come and sit at My feet now.” There is no place I would rather be than in His holy presence. Mornings spent with the Lord are absolutely awesome!

Not everyone feels the way I do, about the morning time, that is. My husband is so NOT a morning person. He prefers the quiet shelter of a late night rendezvous’ with the Bible and a bottle of Diet Pepsi® on the nightstand next to his bed. He finds solace and comfort in late night moments of quiet calling and reflection. If I pick up the Scripture and begin reading after 10pm, I will be asleep within five minutes, guaranteed. What time of day do you hear God urging you to come and follow Him?

Christ’s invitation to come and follow is a welcome unlike anything I have ever experienced. His still, small voice can be missed in the business a/k/a busyness of our days. We must be willing to listen and respond when the invitation is extended. Do you find yourself wondering where God is at times? I can assure you He has never left your side. It is hard to hear a whisper amid the roar of the freight train we ride on each day. The Psalmist sings out Christ’s call, offered for you and for me: Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10). Can you hear Him today?

Everything changes when Jesus calls out your name. His call abruptly altered the lives of Andrew, Simon Peter and Philip. When Jesus said, “Follow me,” they dropped what they were doing and went. What would it take for you to drop what you are doing today to follow Christ? Would hearing His sweet voice be enough to help you wake up early, or stay up late into the night? Would you give up your lunch hour to worship Him? Maybe you will find the Lord speaking to you on the commute to and from work. Would you be willing to turn your radio off today and spend your travel time in prayer?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Jesus, let me feel and know Your holy breath of dawn today. Give me the desire to stop, listen, and follow You whenever You call my name. Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.