Sunday, December 30, 2007

A wedding celebration to remember

Daily Reading: Revelation 18, 19, 20; Proverbs 31

Revelation 19:6-10 (NIV)

6 Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and loud peals of thunder, shouting: “Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and His bride has made herself ready. 8 Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.” (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.) 9 Then the angel said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!’ And He added, “These are the true words of God.” 10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do it! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

Good morning!

Yesterday morning, I attended one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever been to. Christmas weddings are always special, but this one will stay in my mind’s eye forever. The bridesmaids wore black gowns with burgundy sashes that trailed behind their dresses and pooled around the heels. Each maid carried a lit candle, encased in a hurricane globe, adorned with fresh white poinsettias and green garland. The men wore black top hats and tails, looking very regal, as they walked at the maids’ side. They took their places at the front of the altar, waiting expectantly for the bride to arrive. Behind them were a sea of flaming red poinsettias, and the twinkling lights of the Chrismon tree. The little flower girl, the brides’ sweet baby, was dressed just like her mama, floating down the center aisle, in a white ballerina gown, complete in a flowing, tool netting skirt. She smiled and touched the hands of the wedding guests as she toddled toward her handsome daddy. Some moments cannot be captured with film. This is one of those very special memories.

The wedding was especially touching for two reasons. This was an extravagant celebration of love, and celebrations of love are always touching. Yet, this event was more – it was the reaffirmation of wedding vows taken two years before, but now in the presence of the couple’s family and friends. Holy moments occur in the daily reaffirmations of our lives. Are there special memories in your life that you would want to reaffirm with your family and friends today?

Holy communion was served during the wedding celebration. I imagined what it would be like one sweet day, to walk toward the Lamb, finally ready to marry the love of my life. It will be a holy reaffirmation of all I long for, as I stand, clothed in Christ’s righteousness alone. My life will be adorned only in His grace; my heart given completely over to the bridegroom forever and ever. You see, I made a vow many years ago and there were moments when I took that vow for granted, seemingly losing my first love. Sometimes we make vows with the very best of intentions only to turn away in sin. Praise God for His holy reaffirmation! The Father, in love, gave all of us a second chance. Without Jesus Christ’s perfect sacrifice, there would be no wedding feast of the Lamb. Hallelujah!

The radiant beauty of the bride simply pales in comparison to the love which she holds for her bridegroom. The love of Christ is more beautiful than anything I could ever hope for, and so I stand in the shadow of His perfect love, adoring the One who gave me a second chance. It was with that simple remembrance, that I took part in His holy communion.

One year ago this weekend, we celebrated the baptism of our granddaughter Madison Marie, at Faith Church. Today, we will celebrate the dedication of our grandson Andrew Joseph, to the Lord. It is yet another reaffirmation of the love that draws us closer to Christ day by day. Soon, we will attend the magnificent wedding supper of the Lamb. In a holy blink of the eye, we will fall at His feet, face to face, to worship our Savior and Lord. His testimony is the spirit of all prophecy. It will be like no other wedding we’ve ever attended before.

I am beginning to think about the New Year, which is less than forty eight hours away. I want to be ready for the reaffirmation celebration with my true love. Like the bridesmaids in waiting, I want to be certain I have plenty of oil for my lamp, as I watch and wait for Christ’s imminent return. I pray that you will prepare your hearts for the reaffirmation celebration of love that is coming soon. It will be the culmination of every hope and dream you’ve ever longed for. In Christ alone, we find perfect love. Won’t you join me at the wedding supper of the Lamb? It is your personal invitation, extended by the true Word of God.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a holy reaffirmation! If you have breath in your body, there is still time for you to recommit your heart to the Lord today. His is the only love you need. Prepare yourself now for the wedding supper to come. Come and reaffirm your faith today. I will see you at Faith Church!

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.