Monday, December 31, 2007

Living Devotion


Daily Reading: Revelation 21, 22

Revelation 22:13-14 (NIV)

13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. 14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.

Good morning!

This special day marks the end of yet another year, and the beginning of something new. Around the world, people are remembering the past and ringing in the new with hope and anticipation for what is yet to be. Some people make resolutions, set goals, and promise to do better in the year to come. Are you closer to your life’s goal than you were three hundred and sixty four days ago?

The people of Faith Church made a commitment one year ago to read through the Bible in a year. The staff selected J. Ellsworth Kalas’ The Grand Sweep, as a corporate Bible study guide for our congregation. This study has been a personal blessing to my life, and I pray that Dr. Kalas’ thoughts and the study guide he prepared is a help to you in your daily reading has blessed you too. If you journeyed through the Bible with me this year, I would like to hear how it impacted your life. I hope you will write and share your personal experience with me. You may contact me at songofdeborah@hotmail.com.

John’s vision ends where it begins, at the tree of life, where the light of God will be our one true light. The darkness will no longer exist. There will be no more pain and suffering, no more separation and loneliness. This is a holy space where sin is abolished outside the gates. The believers will be forever changed. The old will pass away as we step into newness of life, just as He promises. Jesus Christ will perfect us in His love, and this is all we will ever need. It is the beginning of a brand new age.

All of us have experienced life at its best and worst in the last year. We have loved and been loved by others. We welcomed new life and we gave our loved ones back to the Lord in death. Illnesses have marked not only the patients, but their caregivers. Families are impacted when someone we love suffers from sickness. We’ve watched the plight of our brothers and sisters around the world. People have helped each other feed the hungry and house the homeless. Many good men and women have given their lives for freedom’s sake. Persecuted Christians have suffered and died while offering the saving Gospel message of Jesus Christ around the world. The need is great. Our Lord is greater. How will you choose to help those who suffer in the year ahead?

The Word was with us in the beginning. The Word is with us now. The Word reigns for all eternity. The Word is Jesus Christ. He is the living Word of God. God’s perfect love is revealed in the gift of a child. His death and resurrection opens the door to salvation and everlasting life to those who believe. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ?

My hope for the brand New Year is simply this: I long to be His living devotion. I pray that Jesus, the living Word of God, will be engraved upon my heart and mind; that I will desire and seek a closer walk with Him every day. There is nothing in life I cannot face when He is the rock on which I stand. Christ lives in me! He loved me long before I was born, and He loves me even now. I have His Word that He will love me forever in the brand new season to come. I want to be ready when He calls my name.

I pray that your life will become a living devotion in this brand new year. Come, Lord Jesus! Come and live in our hearts today. May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen. (Rev. 22:21 NIV).

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: new life! Jesus is waiting for you to give Him your heart. Won’t you ask the Lord to wash your robes and remove the sin from your life? Won’t you receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior today? This is the beginning of the end. It is the dawning of a brand new year and abundant life He has promised to all who believe. I wish you all a very Happy New Year, in the name of Jesus. Amen!

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.