Saturday, December 01, 2007

Happy New Birth Day!

Daily Reading: Colossians 1, 2; Proverbs 13

Colossians 1:3-6; 9 (NIV)

3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints - 5 the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the Word of truth, the Gospel 6 that has come to you. All over the world this Gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God’s grace in all its truth.

9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.

Good morning!

When I arrived home yesterday from work, I was greeted by three little smiles. I got a wet, slobbery kiss from my sweet five-month old Andrew, who seems to be cutting teeth way too fast for my liking. Joshua and Emily were starving, and ready to eat “chicken on the bone.” For those of you who are not familiar with this terminology, it is also known as Granny Deb’s fried chicken. Sometimes I feel like I’m a “chicken on the bone,” don’t you? They are here in St. Charles, helping me celebrate my birthday! What a wonderful gift to receive – the precious gift of time spent together. I’ve looked forward to this day all week long, and now, as they lay sleeping quietly and peacefully in their beds (a rare moment indeed), I am grateful for the perpetual love our Lord gives through the gift of family.

I stood by my bed last night and read the birthday cards that had arrived in yesterday’s mail. Do you like receiving mail? I read and answer e-mail every day. It is wonderful to be able to instantly communicate with family and friends around the world. With a simple double click of a mouse, we can send our greetings to each other and receive a reply almost immediately. I have to say that I enjoy receiving cards through the “snail mail” almost as much as I enjoy reading daily e-mail. There is something really special when we open and view a card or letter from a dear one, who thought about us long enough to make the time to write a note and drop it in the mail. I save cards and letters, placing them in scrapbooks and keepsake albums. It is a time-honored tradition to scrapbook here at the parsonage. We will be making memories today that will last forever in the scrapbooks we fill tomorrow.

Can you imagine how the Christians must have felt when they received this letter from Paul? He was happy to greet them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. His heart was moved by their faithfulness and love that sprang forth from the hope that was stored up in them from heaven, because they had heard the Word of truth! WOW! It is exciting to read so many faith-filled notes from those who have met the Lord Jesus Christ and are purposefully choosing to live for Him everyday. While we watch and wait for His imminent return, we encourage each other sharing the Good News around the world. Paul heard about the good work of his faith family in Colosse, and was quick to write and encourage them on. Are you feeling encouraged in your faith today by someone who cared enough to write and thank you?

Paul’s love letter was not just written to the Colossians. Paul speaks to every heart, who is serving our Lord today. If you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and friend and are seeking to share His love with others, then this letter was written just for you! I love reading these words out loud, and I would encourage you today to take this scripture passage to heart. Take a moment to pray these words right off the printed page. You can say it like this: “I always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when I pray for _______________ (fill in the blank with the name of someone you love), because I have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints – thank you for serving the Lord!

When we recognize Jesus Christ living in others and take time to tell them what this means, we share a blessing, giving the gift of a Happy New Birth Day. New birth reminds us of the very first time we felt our own hearts come alive in the love of our Lord. We renew our commitment to support each other, through the perfect love of Jesus. When we send up a prayer of thanksgiving for another human heart, we whisper the words of love into the holy ear of Almighty God.

Forty-nine years ago, at 7:00pm, a little tiny baby girl was born into the world. Today, that baby is celebrating a happy new birth day. I am filled with the love of my Lord Jesus Christ, who saves, covers, and redeems me for kingdom work. I think I’ll throw myself a party! It’s a grandmother’s prerogative, you know, and I think I should have cake and ice cream! It’s a bit unusual, but why not? God broke the mold when He made me. I’ve invited my grandchildren to come over to play with me. We will put on our party hats, and have balloons and noise makers, and watch Christmas videos together. I have a box of ornaments just waiting to be hung on the tree. Little hands will make it perfect. We’ll take lots of pictures and sing the songs we love to sing. Today is my new birth day, and it is my opportunity to thank the Lord for the ones who have helped me grow in grace day by day.

My dear ones, it is for this reason, since the day I first met you, I have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. I pray that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. Thank you, dear friends, for serving the Lord. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: today to become your happy new birth day! You have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Now, get out there and tell the world about Jesus! There are people who need to hear a word of encouragement from you right now!

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.