Friday, November 30, 2007

Embracing Suffering


Daily Reading: Philippians 3, 4: Proverbs 12

Philippians 3:10-11 (NIV)

10 I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection of the dead.

Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)

13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Colossians 3:4 (NIV)

When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

Good morning!

I am having a miserable week. I managed to catch that sinus cold/ flu virus that has been going around. All of our grandchildren and children have been puny. For me, I just don’t always adjust well to sudden temperature changes. Eventually, my sinuses clear up, but it takes time. It started with a miserable migraine headache on Monday and went downhill from there, literally. I don’t think I’m a very pleasant person when I’m sick. I’m sure my sweet husband would agree.

It’s hard to imagine what Christ went through to save us. He willingly took on our human condition out of perfect, genuine love. Fully God, and fully man, Jesus knew no sin, yet experienced every trial and temptation we face today. Our human condition does not make for a pretty picture. Christ knew first hand what it was like to get sick, to suffer, to hurt, and to be tired. He willingly gave Himself up, even dying on a cruel Roman cross of torture, so that humanity may receive the Father’s forgiveness, redemption and everlasting life. My sinus cold seems rather trivial, when I put it in perspective with what Jesus did for me.

I’m such a wimp! Paul knew what it was like to suffer for the cross. When Jesus appeared to Paul on the Damascus road, his life was forever changed. A holy shift occurred. Not only did Paul recognize what Christ had done for him, Paul felt compelled to preach the Gospel message wherever the Lord would send him, even if it meant he would be punished or killed for his faith. How many times did Paul suffer beatings, stoning, starvation, imprisonment, and cruel, harsh treatment? Did it deter him? Not even a little bit. Paul willingly suffered. I don’t suffer willingly. I would much rather choose to not suffer at all. I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection. But I’m sitting here at my computer desk, blowing my nose every minute or two, not letting the bottle of Excedrin® migraine leave my sight, and I wonder how much I’m actually willing to share in the fellowship of Christ's suffering today. Am I really a willing participant when it comes to pain, putting myself out there in the world, ready to go wherever He calls, knowing I’m probably going to get beaten up along the way? Am I willing to suffer in order to spread the Gospel? Do I have any right at all to expect that following Christ would somehow make my life easier, more comfortable? Was Christ comfortable as He hung on the cross, spilling His life's blood for me?

I couldn’t take my eyes off a passage of Scripture that was read last night in class. It resonates with me for so many reasons. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. The first phrase was what held my undivided attention, When Christ, who is my life. He is life. Jesus Christ, in me. When Christ is in me. He lives in me! I realize that my longing for Him is a seed planted by the Holy Spirit. Following Christ, especially when it means I’m going to suffer at some point, is not something I would choose to do on my own. I’d much rather be comfortable. But Christ doesn’t call us to live in comfort. He calls us to follow Him. He gave us a living example and now its up to us to choose whether we are willing to go. Only the love of Jesus could convince my heart to get out there, even when it’s scary and painful, and totally unattractive. If I’m following Him, I can expect I’m going to get hurt. The greater question is: will I choose to be a willing participant as I share in His pain?

Paul lay in the cold, dark prison cell, bleeding on the floor, after taking yet another beating. The scars on his back were so thick that every beating brought greater physical agony. If you have ever had to undergo surgery in the same location where you have been cut before, then you may have some affinity for the suffering of Paul. As he lay there in the dark, he did not whimper or fear. Paul sang songs of praise to His Savior, and the other prisoners couldn’t help but listen. Are you willing to sing even in the midst of intense suffering?

There was a time in my life when I was not willing to suffer for Christ. Every morning, the Holy Spirit moves me just a little bit closer to the Lord I love. I thank Him for living inside of me - the biggest wimp that ever walked the face of the earth. Jesus lives in me! Is that not amazing? He continues to reveal Himself moment by moment. I am learning how to embrace suffering, because I can see Christ just a little bit clearer through the pain. Colds are temporary. Suffering is only for a season. Living in the light of Christ is eternal. On this day, I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me.

It’s time to blow my nose and go to work.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: Christ to strengthen you through your suffering. If you are anything like I am, you may try to avoid pain and suffering at any cost. Remember that when Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. Be very glad. He has big things planned for you, but you must be willing to embrace suffering. Are you willing to suffer for the Lord?

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.