Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Less than the Least

Daily Reading: Ephesians 1, 2, 3

Ephesians 3:7-9 (NIV)

7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of His power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all God’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

Good morning!

Do you ever wonder why God might choose to reveal Himself to you? Maybe you have experienced God’s grace and mercy during a time when you probably least deserved it. He seems to speak to my heart, especially in times when I’ve totally messed up. He continues to teach me daily, as I purposefully seek to become more like Him each day. I know that I must fully rely on the Lord for all that I am and all I hope to be. Yet, it is very easy to get sidetracked and pulled off center. Do you know what I mean?

The Apostle Paul writes that we are “dead” or separated in our transgressions and sins when we become willfully disobedient. We begin to rely upon our own efforts rather than following God’s instruction manual. When we refuse to obey His Word, we single-handedly open the door to the spirit of darkness, and that spirit keeps us from hearing His still, small voice. I have experienced seasons in my life when God’s voice was seemingly gone. It was not because He disappeared out of my life; I had turned and walked away from Him.

My heart resonates with the words of Paul. I also feel I am less than the least, especially when it comes to sharing the Gospel. I’ve been in the presence of many fine pastors and teachers throughout my life. I am blessed to be married to a man who answered Christ’s call at age seventeen, to go and share the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in pastoral ministry. I have friends my age whom I’ve watched pick up their families and leave their “day jobs” behind to go and serve the Lord wherever He sent them. I distinctly remember one family that moved into the married student housing unit on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. This couple moved three teenage children into the space of what I would consider to be a crackerbox, a two-bedroom apartment about the size of our parsonage bedroom, so their father could study God’s Word and follow the call of Christ in his life. And my children thought it was tough moving from parsonage to parsonage! They have no earthly idea what this family sacrificed to serve the Lord. I have friends who are now missionaries. They left the comfort and familiarity of their family and friends to offer assistance and hope to the poorest of the poor. I find it absolutely surprising and amazing that Christ could possibly choose someone like me, ahead of time, knowing my heart better than I do, and not give up on me long, long ago. I can’t even come close to the integrity of these fine people; I lack their character and stamina. The only thing I can do is look directly into the face of the Lord I love, and long for more and more of Him each day. When I trust Him completely to lead, He allows me to share His message of salvation with the world around me.

Being in relationship with the One who loves me completely, even at the age I’m at, and in the place I find myself; He is the One who never gives up on all He has created me to be in Him. The love of Christ is more precious and beautiful than anything this world could ever offer. I may be less than the least; but God had a plan for me long before I was a glimmer in my mother’s eye. And just like me, He has a plan for you too.

I’m celebrating a birthday this weekend. I’ll be a whole year older on Saturday. Even now, at my age, as my vision fades, and my hearing is not as sharp as it once was, the Father finds new ways to capture my undivided attention, through the love of His Son. He continues to pull love out of this old heart, a love that He can only give. Maybe you find yourself sinking deep into the routines and complacency of your daily life. You’ve just been so busy and distracted with other stuff that you’ve not been hearing that still, small voice crying out to you. Maybe you don’t believe God could love you this much. Do you believe you are less than the least? I am here to tell you today that you have a Heavenly Father who longs for you to come home to Him now. No matter who you are, or where you’ve been, there is a Savior, who gave His life’s blood just to reach you. Jesus Christ is calling you today. He can and will call you to follow Him at any age. There is not a secluded spot on the face of this earth that can separate you from the One who knows you better than you know yourself.

Advent is just around the corner. Christ is coming to us again. Can you hear the baby’s cry in the cold night air? He is crying out to you. Ask Him to come inside your heart. As long as you have breath in your body, it is not too late to give your life back to the Lord.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a love that will not let you go, at any age, no matter where you live, no matter what you’ve done. He will lead you on an amazing journey, one that was hand-picked for you, long before you ever took your first breath. Will you let the Lord Jesus Christ lead you today?

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.