Thursday, November 22, 2007

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: II Corinthians 7, 8, 9

II Corinthians 8:3-5 (NIV)

3 For I [Paul] testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. 5 And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God’s will.

Good morning!

What does it mean to give beyond one’s ability? As I look back through the pages of my own life, I’m not sure that I ever gave as much as I was really able to give, and I never strived to give beyond my ability. I did some stretching exercises occasionally; still, I would have classified my earlier days as being totally self-absorbed. I was focused on me and my needs. I cared about my family, but more so about how my family impacted me and what I wanted to receive. Moving from selfishness to selflessness is a miracle in and of itself, and it took an act of God to divert my attention. Can you identify one gift in your life today that you willingly gave away to someone else? Have you ever given something that was certainly beyond your own ability to give?

In every congregation, Jeff and I have had the privilege of knowing at least one person who typified selfless living with everything they said and did. It is a rare and precious quality. Yet, in their quiet way, they affect a profound change upon the lives of others. One of the saints, Miss Vista, who, by the way, is now enjoying eternal life in the presence of our Lord, was one such woman. Her spirit was sweeter than anyone I’ve ever known. She was a trite leaf. You could have blown her over on the sidewalk with just one small gust of wind. Yet, in this tiny woman, emerged a powerful, visionary spirit. She was a true prayer warrior. I think she probably had a greater impact upon my call to prayer than any other person I have ever known. The time she spent in her closet praying for souls to be saved, had an effective impact on our congregation and the community where we lived. I often think of her as following in the lives of those in the early Macedonian church, giving herself as much as she was able to, while allowing the Lord to stretch her even beyond her own ability.

I believe there is a little risk-taking spirit hovering inside every heart. Somewhere, deep inside the recesses of our minds, is the longing to make a lasting difference in the lives of others. Some of us yearn to feed the hungry. Others long to raise God-fearing children and grandchildren. Many families seek out the presence of the Lord together in prayer, asking for the greater gift of selfless living. The miracles of giving have very little to do with how we empty our pockets on Sunday morning to fill the offering plate as it passes by. The miracles of giving begin when we purposefully empty our hearts of every distraction that keeps us from an intimate, daily pursuit of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. As we set aside time to worship and wait in His holy presence, the Lord carves out a space for selfless living. He equips the called to reach out in service to others. The “me” comes out of the picture as we focus on “Him.” Hearts begin to change, as He begins the work in and through us.

Today is the day Americans set aside time to thank God for the many gifts we have been given. Most of us expect that we will sit in front of our televisions, watching parades and football, while feasting on turkey and dressing. We can do the unexpected, even surprising ourselves, if we will choose to humble our hearts and seek God’s face first. The greatest risk you may take today is when you humble your heart and ask the Lord to come inside and reign. It is a risk worth taking, my friend. Do not let this day pass you by without the Lord. Cry out to Him. He hears and answers every prayer. He will take the beauty of what He has created inside your life, and bring it to blossom.

May the Lord bless you especially today, on this day of Thanksgiving.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the greater gifts! When we depend upon God for everything, He can take what we are able to give, and multiply it far beyond our own capabilities. Who will the Lord reach through your willing heart? Overflowing joy coupled with extreme poverty results in rich generosity. Thank you Father, for the gift of your Son. I pray that you will equip the called today, in Jesus’ name. Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.