Sunday, November 18, 2007

The book of remembrance

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: I Corinthians 11, 12, 13, 14

Malachi 4:16-18 (NIV)

16 Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in His presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored His name. 17 “They will be mine,” says the Lord Almighty, “in the day when I make up my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as in compassion a man spares his son who serves him. 18 And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.

I Corinthians 12:27; 29-31 (NIV)

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Good morning!

Yesterday was an incredible day. I took a road trip with two of my Faith friends, and we drove along some beautiful Missouri country roads and enjoyed the fragrance of fall. Thanksgiving is upon us, and I would say, of all the holidays we celebrate each year, this one is truly special to my heart. It is a time when I thank God for all He has given to us. I thank Him for His ultimate sacrifice – His only Son, Jesus Christ. I thank Him for the people He has placed in my path. I thank Him for the memories of those who have gone on before us, leaving a legacy worth following. Yesterday was a great day just to say thank you to the Lord and be glad.

We stopped at a beautiful country church to worship and give thanks. I noticed the artistry of an unfinished piece quilt sitting in a frame in the church’s fellowship hall. Each square was a different shade of blue, and yet, when sewn together with tiny, intricate stitches, it was as if all of the colors simply blended together as one. They were meant to be together! What an awesome work of art it is, when we, who are many, gather together as one body in Christ, proclaiming the Good News in our world.

This morning, when I began to study His Word, I was reminded of where I had walked yesterday. I thought I had turned to the appropriate scripture passage, but my eyes were not yet focusing very well. I began to read the words from the prophet Malachi, and God added His holy exclamation point to an ongoing conversation we’ve been having off and on for the last two years. This passage was strangely familiar, but it certainly didn’t read like Paul. It took me a minute to realize I was checking out a totally different book of the Bible. The Father had something to say to my heart, and He wanted me to sit and chew on this passage for awhile.

When we spend time together with other Christians, sharing our faith journey together, God listens and hears our every word. He is present in every conversation. The Father joins us whenever we seek His presence. I’ve often thought that it was God who was writing the scroll of remembrance concerning those who fear Him and honor His name. But this time, as I reread the words of the prophet Malachi, I wondered if maybe we aren’t the ones writing the scroll of remembrance as we live out our days in His holy presence. God listens and hears our every thought and word and we record the pages with our life’s song.

Every person is a unique, created work of the Living God. Every heart is custom made. We have many similarities, but no two people are exactly alike. Even in the midst of our diversity, with Jesus Christ at the head, we can become one body in Him, with many functioning parts. Like that beautiful piece quilt of many colors and patterns, we become His treasured possession, one body, united in Christ alone. In each passing season, we leave a living legacy behind for others to follow. What are you recording in the pages of your life?

Do you know that God sees you as His treasured possession? You are His masterpiece – His precious created work of art. God dwells in the many hearts of His body. We are all intricately stitched together by the blood of the Lamb. He listens and hears us. He is our treasure, and we belong to Him. May you find yourself thankful for all that God has given you. How will you choose to thank Him? What will you write in your book of remembrance?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the greater gifts! Together, we are one in the body of our Lord Jesus Christ. Intricately woven together through grace, what will the colors of your life look like recorded on the pages in the book of remembrance? Will you choose to leave a worthwhile legacy for others to follow?

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.