Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Grace and peace

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: II Corinthians 1, 2, 3

II Corinthians 1:2 (NIV)

2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Good morning!

Paul’s simple greeting to the church has taken on a whole new meaning for me. Jesus is our peace, He is grace revealed.

One of my pastors suggested I listen to the music of Fernando Ortega. You can get a taste of this extraordinary heavenly sound by logging in to Ortega’s website: www.fernandoortega.com. As you click the link to enter the website and listen, you will hear the melodic words, “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” Many of the Scripture passages I have put to memory came as a result of singing them over and over again. How I love to sing praises to the Lord! I spent many holy hours as a young child, swinging on the play set in my back yard, pumping my legs as hard as I could. My goal was to climb just a little closer to heaven, while singing every Sunday school song I had learned. I don’t know if any of my neighbors had their windows open and could hear the praises floating along the summer breeze; yet I know God heard every melody, every single word. God inhabits the people of His praise. There is a saying, He who sings prays twice.” If you are a closet singer, like in the shower, give Him everything you’ve got! He delights in your unique and special sound. He gave you that voice! Be thankful, even when you find yourself simply making a joyful noise.

Breath prayers come in many forms. Some prayers are offered in short, frantic expletives, like: Lord, help me! Jesus, protect! Oh, God! Many people tend to call upon the name of the Lord a whole lot more in their automobiles. At least, that is what I hear them shouting during a traffic jam. I have no doubt of their sincerity – you can see it written on their faces. I have to wonder if these folks really know whose attention it is they are drawing. There are times when we could all use an extra measure of grace and peace.

Paul offers a simple, yet complex greeting to the Church. I can almost hear him singing the words, as he writes, “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” The dictionary defines the word grace as: elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion or action; favor or good will; an allowance of time after a debt has become payable and granted to the debtor. Grace is the unmerited, undeserved favor of God. The Holy Spirit breathes grace on those who rely upon the Lord for strength and daily regeneration. We enjoy a state of perpetual grace as we enjoy intimate fellowship with the ultimate grace-giver. If you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior today, you are walking right now in His grace. What a wonderful way to live, in the abundance and riches of God’s amazing grace, extended through the love of Christ. His grace is poured out for you and me today. Do you know Him?

Peace is often thought of as the opposite of war. The dictionary says that peace is an agreement or treaty between warring or antagonistic nations or groups; to end hostilities and abstain from further fighting; mutual harmony between people in personal relations. Do we try to live in peace with our neighbors? Are we more interested in stirring the pot, or finding common ground?

We can experience God’s peace – the peace that passes all understanding, especially in the quiet moments of life. His peace comes in the silence. It is a spirit of tranquility, found as we walk around the perimeter of a beautiful lake on a crisp, fall morning. One can find His peace while passing through the woods. His beauty is revealed even in the darkest recesses of our lives. Personally, I find His peace in the mountains. Even as I’m standing at the foot of a long, hard uphill climb, I can feel the presence of God’s peace, and I know without a doubt, I am not alone. He is with me every step of the way. Do you experience the peace of God, even as you are climbing the mountains in you face each day?

I have adopted Paul’s greeting because it means so very much. When he says, “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,” he whispers the very essence of our faith, extending its holy mystery along to all who will hear and receive it. I pray that His grace and His peace will become your life, not only in this day, but for all eternity. It is the Lord’s grace and peace that I pass to you today. Take it and run with it! Swing to the heavens! Sing it out in everything you say and do. Experience the fullness of Christ, today. This is my prayer for you.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: grace and peace to become your daily bread. May His peace, the peace that passes all understanding, guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Won’t you allow His gifts of grace and peace to overflow and immerse all those you come in contact with today?

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.