Thursday, August 02, 2007

Everyone's nightmare

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Jeremiah 25, 26, 27

Jeremiah 25:32 (NIV)

32 This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Look! Disaster is spreading from nation to nation; a mighty storm is rising from the ends of the earth.”

2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)

14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Good morning!

I hate nightmares. When I was a little girl, I used to wake up screaming in the middle of the night. Beads of sweat would dampen my hairline and the pillow case would be soaked with my tears. Most children dream about monsters lurking under their beds or in their closets. I would dream the same dream every night. I have no doubt that the monster in my dream is very real.

My nightmare takes place in our automobile. I am a passenger in an automobile driven by a relative. We were flying on a winding, two-lane road, up and down, up and down, moving far too fast for my taste. Suddenly, we would come up over a hill and there, just in front of us, was a washed out bridge. Into the river we would plummet. I would awake screaming, just as the car hit the water. I have never enjoyed traveling over bridges. I can drive it and I can ride as a passenger, but there are times when that dream becomes so very real, that it makes me shake to think about it.

This morning, I watched the videotape of the bridge collapse yesterday in Minneapolis. It was as if my awful dream had somehow become a reality. I have spent the last hour on my knees for the people who are trapped in the water and I’m praying search teams will find more survivors today. This is everyone’s nightmare. We are eye witnesses to the suffering of those who encounter natural disasters, like tornadoes, hurricanes, floods and fires. We hope and pray the devastation will one day stop and our families and friends will remain safe and protected from the eye of the storms.

Maybe the natural disaster you are experiencing came with a phone call from your doctor, who tells you that your test results were not what they had hoped for. You may be sick and in the hospital this morning, undergoing medical treatment. You are feeling discouraged and wondering if you will ever get well. You may be preparing to bury a loved one today. Grief can be overwhelming, especially when death touches our life.

Jeremiah, like the prophets before him, spoke God’s Word to a hard-hearted people. If they would just turn around and look to the Lord for help, they would not face the natural disasters of daily living alone. I don’t know of anyone who wants to lose their home in a fire, or see their land washed away by flood waters, or die in an automobile accident. Our bridges are collapsing all around us, and yet, there is one bridge that will never fail. This bridge will never fall. It is the foundation of our faith. His name is Jesus, and is the bridge gap between our sin and God’s perfection. Jesus Christ extends the gift of salvation to all who would turn, confess, repent, and believe.

If you are experiencing a nightmare today, you are not alone. You do not have to look far to see the suffering of those around you. Won’t you take some time today to kneel before the Lord in prayer. Ask Him to be real and bring comfort to those who have lost loved ones in Minneapolis this morning, and for those who continue to suffer from the nightmare in their life. Jesus Christ will not leave us or forsake us. We are not alone. We have the bridge. Trust Jesus enough to let Him have your fears and your pain. He will see you through whatever nightmare you may be facing today.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: assurance! Jesus will not fail you, especially when the nightmares become real. Take His hand this morning, and hold on tight. He will not let you go.

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.