Monday, July 30, 2007

The Potter's House

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Jeremiah 16, 17, 18

Jeremiah 18:1-4 (NIV)

1 This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 2 “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” 3 So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

Jeremiah 18:14-15a (NIV)

14 Does the snow of Lebanon ever vanish from its rocky slopes? Do its cool waters from distant sources ever cease to flow? 15 Yet my people have forgotten me.

Good morning!

Have you ever forgotten something really important? I’ve been known to record some meetings on my calendar on the wrong day or time. The Daytimer® I carry is packed with work, school and family commitments. Sometimes I meet myself coming and going. We are in such a hurry to see and experience all life has to offer and there are moments when the schedule seems far too busy. Do you ever overbook yourself?

There are times when I simply forget to write things down. The older I become, the more important this is. What I was once able to retain by memory, even ten years ago, may not stick today if I don’t write it down on paper. I’ve learned to take copious notes in meetings, during worship, and especially at school. My scribbles help me remember what was said. Do you struggle to remember the details of your life?

The Lord gave Jeremiah a message for the people of Israel. As I read His Word today, I realize Jeremiah recorded this message for me as well. Jeremiah went to the Potter’s House, and watched the master creator at the wheel. In His hand was a clump of clay, misshapen and useless. As the Potter threw the clay onto the spinning wheel and began to reshape its disfiguring flaws, a new vessel emerged through one touch of His hand. God reminds Jeremiah that He has given His people cool waters and snow capped peaks, and yet, His people have forgotten Him. Have you ever forgotten the most important thing in your life?

Sunday is by far, my favorite day of the week. I look forward to worshiping at Faith Church. Coming into the sanctuary and sitting in the Lord’s holy presence, is for me, an inexpressible joy. I can’t wait to get there each week. Yesterday, I was helping Jeff lead worship in the 8am service. At the 9am service, we had a guest pastor join us in worship, and I wanted to hear more about the good work that is happening through his ministry in the city. I began to do what I always do. I took copious notes. I listened carefully. I learned many new things. And I became so wrapped up in what he was telling me, that I lost track of someone very important in my life. I had promised a very special person that I would pick her up for worship that day, and somewhere in the middle of my note taking, I forgot to keep my word. Have you ever forgotten to keep a promise to someone you love?

God said that His people have forgotten Him. They were so busy meeting their obligations and taking notes and doing the good work, that somewhere in the mix of things, they forgot the One they were seeking to serve. The Lord God Almighty is more important than any plan we make, any schedule we keep, or any accomplishment we achieve. For all we say and do pales in comparison to being in His presence and sitting at the Master Artist’s feet. Have we forgotten the One who gives you new life each day through water and Word?

I need the Potter’s touch today. I am desperate to have Him reshape my heart, mind and soul. I want to be conformed to His plan – not mine. To the only One who truly matters, I’m handing Him my life, the date book I carry, and all of my hard work and effort. Without Him, what I’m doing means nothing. I don’t ever want to forget what is most important, ever again. Do you?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: forgiveness. When I forgot to remember, I asked for forgiveness once again. With undeserving grace, I was drawn back into the arms of my Lord. Take a trip with me today to the Potter’s House. Stand outside the window and watch as the master artist takes a lump of useless clay and transform it into something beautiful, unique, and useful for His Kingdom work.


___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.