Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Symphony of souls

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: I Chronicles 6, 7; Psalms 78, 79 (NIV)

I Chronicles 6:31-32; 48-49 (NIV)
31 These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the Lord after the ark came to rest there. 32 They ministered with music before the tabernacle, the Tent of Meeting, until Solomon built the temple of the Lord in Jerusalem. They performed their duties according to the regulations laid down for them.

48 Their fellow Levites were assigned to all the other duties of the tabernacle, the house of God. 49 But Aaron and his descendants were the ones who presented offerings on the altar of burnt offering and on the altar of incense in connection with all that was done in the Most Holy Place, making atonement for Israel, in accordance with all that Moses the servant of God had commanded.

Psalm 79:9 (NIV)
9 Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake.


Good morning!

On a warm and beautiful May evening in the late spring of 1976, I walked across the gymnasium floor and took my seat at the Steinway Grand Piano. For three years I studied one movement of one concerto written by musician and composer Felix Mendelssohn, preparing to play this piece of music in the finale concert of the high school symphony’s season. Musicians understand the investment of time that is given to the perfecting of a five-minute musical moment. One may practice on that same section for hours each day. It is a lesson in the art of repetition. I labored over this piece of music during my freshman, sophomore and junior years of high school. I wish I could tell you that the performance that night was perfect. I remember the mistakes. There were two wrong notes and a slight hesitation before I played the final arpeggio run just prior to the last bars of the movement. I remember them distinctly, although I’m not certain anyone in the audience could recall them today. This is a unique moment in time suspended in my mind and soul forever. It was nothing short of a true gift of love and testimony to the magnificence of the master composer.

I remember the dress I wore on stage. It was a long white gown, with a sheer overlay of pink roses. The pattern on the dress reminded me of the pretty pink rose wallpaper in my grandmother’s guest bedroom. As a child, I would lie on the large feather bed and watch the roses dance across the walls in merry movement. It was as if a rose garden was blooming before my sleepy eyes; a sweet symphony of praise created by the loving hand of the great artist. Roses have always been one of my favorite flowers. They remind me of my grandmother, and a safe haven she called home. She was not physically present at the spring concert in 1976, and yet, in that dress, sitting on the piano bench, it was as if she had her arms wrapped around my neck. I could smell the roses in bloom that night.

We are a symphony of souls, each and every one of us with unique and special gifting. The Lord, the master author of life, takes great pleasure in remembering our name. Scripture recounts over and over again, the generations of servants who are remembered for their gifts and work in the house of the Lord. Each person called to minister offers a unique sound that cannot be duplicated by another. Together, in harmony, we come as the body of Christ, seeking to glorify and serve Him wholeheartedly, in a symphony of praise and worship.

This morning as I sat in prayer, I closed my eyes and saw the servants of the Lord, quietly moving toward the Holy of Holies. Dressed in long, white robes, they carry the petitions of the faithful to place at the foot of the throne. The tears of God’s children are contained in the jeweled boxes placed at the foot of the cross. Like a beautiful rose garden, their fragrance is sweet unto the Lord. Your prayers today rise like a symphony in chorus with the faithful. Your melody is unique. You have given years to its refinement. The time you spend in prayer becomes timeless moments of indescribable joy. The Spirit hovers over you. We are the living symphony of souls.

As you enter your time of prayer today, remember you are not alone. As you take your place at the altar, your unique offering becomes part of a larger melody in chorus with the prayers of the faithful around the world. See how they rise to the heavens today! We continue the work of the generations, taking our place in a moment of time. He sees your offering. He hears your voice. God knows your name. You are so very important to the intricate weaving of His eternal Song. Help me sing it today. Won’t you pray with me?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: ears to hear the symphony of souls crying out to the Lord today. Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake. He can take our offerings and create a holy perfection in the light of His amazing grace and love.
________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.