Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Focus!

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: 1 Chronicles 4, 5; Psalm 77 (NIV)

I Chronicles 4:9-10 (NIV)
9 Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, “I gave birth to him in pain.” 10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.

Psalm 77:1-2 (NIV)
1 I cried out to God for help: I cried out to God to hear me. 2 When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.


Good morning!

A long time ago, I learned how to tune the world out so I could focus on what I was trying to accomplish. I can be easily distracted if I allow the noises of life to jump ahead of the task at hand. At some point, all of us have to set aside the things that distract and finish what we’ve started.

There were times, I must confess, when I didn’t pay close attention to my children. I remember moments of sheer madness – trying to cook dinner, run a load of laundry, write a paper on the kitchen counter top, while stirring the spaghetti sauce on the stove, and trying to “listen” to the chatter of my three noisy children, all at one time. I covet moments of peace and quiet, when I can give my full attention over to the task at hand. However, when my children were younger, I found those quiet times to be few and far between. I was gone all day to work. In the evenings, I would take a class at a local college, make time to attend weekly choir rehearsal, sit in on a weekly prayer meeting, and shuttle kiddos to and from the ball field. My to-do list seemed to grow with each passing hour. I felt I had to accomplish all of it before I could fall into bed, exhausted from the day that never seemed to end.

My husband Jeff would bring me back to reality, as the children clamored for undivided attention. He would say, “Deb, do you hear what they are saying to you? Stop saying ‘uh-huh’ and pay attention! I don’t think you want to say ‘yes’ to that question.” Once again, I had zoned out, thinking about the ten other things I needed to do. I was not listening carefully, and for all I know, my children were asking if they could go up on the roof of our home and jump off. Have you ever been so busy with the stuff in your life, that you find yourself unwilling to stop and listen to someone who is trying to speak to you?

Jabez knew what it was like to try to gain his mother’s attention. She named her son Jabez because he caused her great pain in labor. Jabez means sorrowful. Can you imagine growing up in a home where your name is a constant reminder of the pain that you so unintentionally caused your parent? Jabez simply wanted to be loved and heard. He did not want to be held responsible for his mother’s pain. Children are like that. We tend to leave them with the impression that they are in our way, especially when we are too busy to pay them any real attention. Every single time I let the stuff of life get in the way of listening to my kids, it was as if I were saying, “Go away. Leave me alone and let Mommy do what she needs to do.” How I regret those moments. What a waste of precious time.

Jabez prayed a simple prayer to the Lord, who understands us better than we understand ourselves. He said, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory. Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” Jabez did not want to cause anyone harm. He just wanted to receive the blessings that only God could give. He wanted to grow in faith and wisdom, and become someone that the Lord would use for kingdom work. God heard the prayer of Jabez, and the scripture tells us He granted his request.

Are you finding yourself just too busy to make time to listen to God today? Do you try to shove Him out of your way, while you accomplish your to-do list? When you make time to pray, do you find yourself falling asleep or letting your mind wander out of sheer boredom or busyness? Are your half-hearted “uh-huhs” to God just that? The Lord wants our undivided attention. He will not jump up and down, like our children sometimes do. His still, small voice can only be heard when we lay aside the things that distract, and focus our hearts completely upon Him. The Lord God Almighty is trying to speak to you today. Are you listening? Will you make time to stop and hear Him speak?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: focus! The Lord is speaking to you today. If you will make some time to listen, He will speak to your heart. When you cry out to God for help today, don’t let your voice be the only thing you hear. The Lord is answering your prayer before the words ever leave your lips. He hears you. Will you make time to listen to Him today?
________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.