Friday, May 11, 2007

Service with a smile!

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: 1 Chronicles 10, 11, 12 (NIV)

I Chronicles 12:18 (NIV)
18 Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the thirty, and he said: “We are yours, O David! We are with you, O son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you.” So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands.


Good morning!

“May I help you,” the woman said behind the ticket counter. “Yes, please,” I answered, with a grin. “I need all the help I can get!” Don’t you love it when people offer to help you? There is nothing quite like receiving a sincere and kind offer of assistance from a friend. There are some people in this world that we can count on to be there for us, no matter the day or hour. They stand with us in prayer and praise, with open arms and a caring spirit. They seem to simply understand, and are placed in our path at just the right moment in time.

This is what I have found in the body of Christ. My Faith family is there for me, no matter the time of day or night. I know I can count on my Christian brothers and sisters to see me through each moment of my life, and when I need, help, I know who to call!

When our children were babies, we used to coach them on dialing for help. We practiced 9-1-1 on the play phone. Why is it that when we find ourselves in need of emergency assistance, we forget who to dial? On February 1st of this year, I experienced a medical emergency, and I needed immediate assistance. Can I tell you who I called? It wasn’t 9-1-1. I dialed 636-946-6398 and spoke to my Pastor Kim. She located Jeff, and he flew home on the wings of eagles. When he walked through the garage and took one look at me, Jeff picked the phone and dialed 9-1-1. Why didn’t I do that? Thank God for my spouse. He knew who to call!

This is what being part of the body of Christ is like. I know there is a network of people out there who truly love Jesus more than they love themselves. These people are the ones who would remove the shirts off their back to provide it to someone who had no shirt to wear. I see them investing time and energy into the many worthwhile service opportunities at Faith Church. Risk-taking mission has more to do with the spirit in which the gift is given, than the actual work itself. The body of Christ lives to serve their Lord through their humble acts of charity. Just ask them for a little help, and watch how they flock to your front door! It happens every single time. We share each other’s burdens, and that is a treasure and gift from God. When my kin asks if they can help a sister out, they really mean it!

David found himself in the presence of his mighty men. They were willing to serve him with a smile. He wasn’t sure that they could be trusted, until Amasai stepped forward. When the Holy Spirit got hold of this humble man of God, he proclaimed their love for the one God had anointed King. The mighty men recognized the real deal when they met King David. They knew him as a brother, loved him with a passion, and placed their very lives at his disposal. When we give our hearts to Jesus, essentially, we do the same thing. “May I serve you, Lord?” I ask this question every morning when I crawl out of bed to pray. “I am willing. My hands are open, and my heart is full of love for you. Send me wherever you want me to go. Take my life and use me to be your hands, your heart, your voice, and your feet. I am yours, O Lord! I am with you this day! Help me to help others through your amazing love. I am happy to serve you, sweet Jesus.”

Are you willing to serve the Lord and extend His salvation message by helping others today?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: the desire to be a happy servant! What a friend we have in Jesus! Let us give back to the One who gave it all up for us. Be a friend in Jesus today. Are you ready to share His love with the people in your life?
________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.