Sunday, February 11, 2007

Living Outside the Camp

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Leviticus 12, 13; Psalm 35

Leviticus 13:45-46 (NIV)

45 “The person with such an infectious disease must wear torn clothes, let his hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of his face and cry out, ‘Unclean, Unclean!’ 46 As long as he has the infection he remains unclean. He must live alone; he must live outside the camp.”

Psalm 35:27-28 (NIV)

27 May those who delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, “The Lord be exalted, who delights in the well-being of His servant.” 28 My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long.

Psalm 51:7 (NIV)

7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Good morning!

When my children were babies, I purchased a special laundry detergent called Ivory Snow® to wash their diapers, clothing and bedding. This amazing powder detergent, which resembled snowflakes in your hand, had the ability to clean stains, while leaving a baby fresh scent and soft, silky feel to the laundry. I could smell the wonderful fragrance of Ivory Snow® in my linen closet, whenever I would retrieve clean blankets or sheets for the nursery. I also liked the scent of Downy® fabric softener, especially when I hung sheets out on the clothes line to dry. It has been a long time since I’ve hung laundry outside on a clothes line to dry. Do you remember that squeaky clean smell?

At some point during their infancy, my babies suffered from some form of diaper rash. It did not seem to matter whether I used cloth or disposable diapers; the rash seemed unavoidable. Our pediatrician recommended several types of preventative creams and ointments to help clear the rash and make my babies feel better. I felt sorry for them, especially when their skin would become so chapped and raw. If you have ever experienced a skin rash, sunburn, dry skin, acne or eczema, then you might have some affinity for the pain it can bring. It was especially embarrassing to suffer from teenage acne. There were many times I would have preferred to pull a paper bag over my head before leaving home during those wonderful teenage years. Do you know what I mean?

The Lord gave specific instructions in identifying and treating infectious disease. In many instances, those suffering with leprosy, a bacterial skin infection that could cause loss of feeling in extremities and permanent paralysis, were forced to live outside the camp. Shunned by their family and friends, a leper was required to publicly announce that they were unclean, so that others could be protected from this malady. To be isolated, rejected, and alone in a time of illness and suffering must be the worst feeling ever. Have you experienced rejection at a time when you really needed someone to reach out and care for you?

There is an infectious disease that permeates humanity, even today. It causes great pain and loss of feeling to those who suffer from it. If you examine the sufferer, you will find physical, emotional and spiritual evidence of the disease. Like a rampant rash, it can eat away at your heart and soul. This disease is known as sin. Humanity struggles with its imperfection. While some try to hide their disease behind a perfectly toned body, make-up rituals, cosmetic surgeries, and the perfect wardrobe, sin is something that cannot be hidden. It raises its nasty head at the most inopportune time. Some people run from it. They shun the sinner like a leper; refusing to extend love and mercy for fear that they might catch the dreaded disease. Others point their fingers and find their self-worth in humiliating and highlighting the suffering of another. It keeps the spotlight from shining on their sin, that will eventually expose itself in due time. Where can the imperfect find help? Who can relieve their pain, heal their scars, and give them a chance to live free from this horrible, dreaded disease?

There is a cure to the disease of sin. His name is Jesus and He came to set the sinner free, to heal the sick, and save the lost. He changes lives every day. I am living proof! Jesus took my sin, and the scars that I wore; He cleansed my life and made me whole. It is His blood that offers me admission into the camp. I no longer live outside the perimeter, crying, Unclean!

If you are struggling with the disease of sin today, there is hope! There is a cure for you. He will change your life. Cry out to Jesus, ask Him to heal you. He can take the ugliest sin and wash it away with His cleansing blood. Would you like to come inside the tent today? Come to church and experience the amazing, healing love of Jesus Christ.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a cure-all! Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life you’ve always longed for. He will wash you, heal you, and free you to live in wholeness. He waits for you to come. Will you come to the Lord today?

____________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.