Wednesday, February 14, 2007

His love is worth the wait!

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Leviticus 19, 20, 21; Psalm 37

Leviticus 19:1-2 (NIV)

1 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: ‘Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.’”

Psalm 37:3-4, 7, 34 (NIV)

3 Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

4 Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

7 Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways.

34 Wait for the Lord and keep His way.

Good morning!

When Jeff and I were dating, we used to write sappy love letters to each other. Whenever we could eek out five extra minutes between classes or take a break at work, we would pick up our pens and write the craziest stuff to each other. This, of course, was before the age of cell phones and blackberries. Yes, my friends, there was life and love before wireless technology took over our world. And the 70’s was a grand time to be hopelessly devoted and head-over-heels in love. Have you ever written a love letter? I used every flowery adjective I could think of. About a year ago, I was pilfering through some boxes in the basement and came across letters that we had saved from our dating years. Being the avid scrapaholic that I am, I took those time-honored notes and begin placing them in scrapbooks. Now they are preserved forever for our children and grandchildren and their children to laugh over and enjoy. Not only will our family will have proof positive of Granny Deb and Pa’s romantic inclinations, they will know that we were both certifiably in love.

Because of our crazy school and work schedules, we did not get to see each other every day. Talking on the phone was not always possible. I loved waiting for the mail to arrive. Waiting and anticipating another letter from my “hunk of burning love” was an amazing experience. You know you are going to receive something really special and it is so worth waiting for. Jeff’s letters never disappointed me. I knew he was thinking about me even when we were apart, and that was all the affirmation I needed! The joy of being in love is a glorious, beautiful, and wonderful experience – it is matchless in every way.

Every morning when I awake, I look for just the right words to describe the love I have for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Sometimes, I am simply at a loss with the words in my English vocabulary that even comes close to describing what I feel in my heart for Him. The Lord must giggle when he reads my heartfelt, sappy and flowery sentiment. I long to find a way to convey just how much He means to me; how thankful I am that He cared enough to give His life in exchange for mine. I’ve never known a greater love than the love of Jesus Christ. I am convinced there will never ever be a greater love. He is everything to me.

When I pray, I hear Jesus whispering in my ear. He gently says, “Wait for me.” The joy of waiting for Him brings color to my cheeks, a bounce in my step, and a hopeful anticipation of His return. Jesus is so worth waiting for! While I sit in His awesome presence, I prepare and wait for the love of my life to come. I know that when I see His face, the time I spent waiting and welcoming Him into my heart will be worth it. There is a holiness that comes with waiting patiently for the Lord. I am physically, emotionally and spiritually creating a sacred space for Him to dwell in my life. As I center my mind on Christ’s love, I am drawn deeper into His presence. It is like having heaven here on earth, while I wait with eager anticipation for His presence to fill my life. I don’t know how He does it, but those priceless moments of waiting for Him and daily meditating on His Word is what frees me for joyful living! How can I not share this experience with the world? I want to shout it from the roof top – I’m in love with the One who gives me a reason to live! My Redeemer lives and He lives for me and for you! Come and meet the One who will sweep your heart away forever. Jesus is wonderful, Jesus is beautiful, and Jesus is glorious. There is no other love like the love of my Savior. Why don’t you take a moment and write Him a love letter today? Give Jesus Christ your heart.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: Christ’s presence to fill you up, keeping you safe and warm while you wait for His imminent return. Open your Bible this morning and read out loud His love letter written just for you. Won’t you give Jesus your very best? Give Him your heart today.

____________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.