Saturday, October 24, 2009

“Emmanuel, God is with us”

Today’s reading - Acts 10:23b -29 (NIV): The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the brothers from Joppa went along. 24The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26But Peter made him get up. "Stand up," he said, "I am only a man myself."

27Talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28He said to them: "You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile or visit him. But God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. 29So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?"

I love the way Peter follows God. He understands Jewish law, but the wisdom given to him through the Holy Spirit continues to lead him in his decision making. He is not afraid of what might happen because of going into the home of the gentiles; instead he talks with them, explaining exactly what God revealed to him. God is with him!

It is good for all of us to have moments of confidence like Peter had because we are each faced with many temptations in life, such as greed, envy or jealousy. We are inclined to spend more emotional energy on struggles rather than leaning on the everlasting God. Peter knows why he is there yet he asks them if they know. As a believer, I know that truth and righteousness is within me, but I must ask the spirit in to make it come alive. Peter knows and soon others will also. Emmanuel, God is with us.


Dorothy Drago Brucks
Aldersgate UMC, Nixa, MO
www.aldersgatechurch.com

No comments: