Thursday, October 22, 2009

“Approach God”

Acts 10:9-16 (NIV) 9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air.

13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."

14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."
16This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.


We have all heard the phrase ‘third time is a charm” and I wonder if it might have originated from this text? I doubt it, but I had to say it anyway.

What captures me in this scripture is that Peter had gone to the roof to pray. He was not ashamed to leave the company he was with to spend time with God. He had spent time with Jesus and he knew that prayer was vital to life. Jesus set the example.

There have been times when I pray that I just stop right in the middle and sit there thinking, experiencing and in awe of God. Perhaps this is a trance similar to what Peter experienced. A time to soak in the entirety God offers. Taking time to hear God speak and give direction dedicating oneself to God. For me to give up my own desires and to not question God takes practice on my part. I must do this over and over and experience His richness and fullness in order to grow my faith. I must step away from those around me as Peter did, and go, specifically to pray.

Dorothy Drago Brucks
Aldersgate UMC
Nixa, MO.
www.aldersgatechurch.com

No comments: