Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What does this mean?

Today’s Reading: Acts 2:9-12 (NIV)

9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites, residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs – we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

Good morning!

I recently watched a video clip online of a group of women singing in a celebratory worship service at the Riruta United Methodist Church in Nairobi, Kenya. I did not understand the words of their language, and yet, I recognized the holy glow on their faces. They were praising God and loving Him with their voices. And this music had the most beautiful melody line I have ever heard. I am daily amazed by the gifts of technology and our ability to easily communicate with people all around the world.

I am not a computer geek; in fact, my husband Jeff would tell you that he has to frequently intervene on my behalf just to print documents, transfer photographs, and, I’m ashamed to say, help turn the computer on. It is a true miracle every time I send a message across the worldwide web. I don’t understand it; I write to share what I hear the Lord whispering in my heart through His Word; then I say a prayer and press “send.”

I wonder if this is how the Apostles may have felt that day when the Holy Spirit fell as tongues of flame, filling their mouths with languages they had never spoken before. There they were, declaring the wonders of God in a language foreigners and strangers could understand perfectly! It had nothing to do with them at all; they were simply willing to open their mouths and speak the words God gave them, and the Holy Spirit “sent” the message forth. People were receiving Jesus Christ everywhere! The foreigners were amazed and perplexed, and wondering what in the world was going on. I’m certain they were not nearly as surprised as the Apostles themselves, who were speaking boldly that day on the Lord’s behalf.

What does this mean? What does it mean for someone like you or me when it comes to sharing faith in Christ with people of other nations and languages? I believe if we have willing hearts and a deep desire to share the Good News with others, then the Holy Spirit flame can carry our love for Christ around the world, even in a simple email. Jesus promises us that He will be us always – when we are willing to go, He will do the rest. We speak – He saves. We share – He loves. He sends – we go. I have heard some say that email is far too impersonal a tool to use in faith sharing. Do you agree? In my own life, I’m learning to trust Jesus Christ for the end result in all I do and say. What makes logical sense to me most often doesn’t work. It is the thing I know virtually nothing about that He most often uses for His Father's glory. It keeps me humble, and on my knees, trusting Him for the outcome. If He can use someone like me to spread the Gospel message around the world, then I know He can and will use you too. The Holy Spirit fire is an unquenchable gift of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I live for the amazing One! Through His Word, He breathes new life into my heart each day. The love of Christ is rich and abundant – and the new life He brings is worth sharing with everyone. So get out there today, and tell someone what Lord Jesus Christ has done for you. Use email, if necessary.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: