Friday, May 22, 2009

Happy hour

Today’s Reading: Acts 2:13-15 (NIV)

13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.” 14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you: listen carefully to what I say. 15 These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!”

Good morning!

Are you a wine drinker? I have family and friends who like to drink. I’ve heard stories from coworkers and friends about their leisurely weekend drives to some of the nearby wineries in Missouri, where they sit outside on cushioned chairs, enjoying the beauty of nature while sampling a selection of some of our State’s finest offerings.

I have been with coworkers at business meetings and dinners where drinks were served. It seems to be the social thing to do, to enjoy a drink or two at dinner with others. I’ve been teased by some and told that they will find a way to convert me to their drinking ways! You see, if my friends had grown up watching their loved ones struggle to cope with the fallout from alcohol addiction, maybe they would understand why I prefer not to drink at all.

Whenever I’m at a restaurant, I try not to sit too close to the bar. Quite honestly, it is hard to hear over the noise. It seems the more alcohol people consume, the louder they get. There is a definite connection how alcohol in the blood stream can change our very thoughts, our moods, and even the way in which we speak. Sometimes, folks who have had a little too much to drink become giddy and giggly. They say things they wouldn’t normally say in public. Perceptions change; others become quite agitated and even angry, while some just want to lie down and take a nap.

The onlookers observing the move of the Holy Spirit couldn’t help but believe that these men were drunk! What else could have caused such an abrupt change in personality? The noise level had raised several decibels. People were speaking loudly and with great passion. Peter told the crowd their theories were wrong. After all, this was not the happy hour that folks flock to after a hard day’s work! It was only nine in the morning, way too early for people to be drinking and dancing in the streets.

The mere fact that Peter, the same disciple who had trouble controlling his temper and his tongue, was able to stand before thousands and speak clearly and audibly, is an amazing miracle! If I had been there watching my friend Peter speak, it would have convinced me straight away that something greater in Him was alive than anything he could possibly do on his own. Maybe that is why the Lord chose to use Him that day to tell the people about Jesus Christ.

A great miracle occurred in that moment when the Holy Spirit flames came. I have found the happiest hours of my life are spent in prayer and praise before my Lord. May you find yourself running to Happy Hour in Lord every day. His is the only drink worth consuming.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi, Deborah,

I have been in touch with Anne Baraza who runs the Children of Africa Hope Center, and Rev. John Makokha, her husband, who is the pastor of Riruta UMC.

I am trying to find the music which you heard them sing, but I am failing miserably. Do you remember where you found it?

Please let me know if you will at:

www.wabashfirstumc.org/contact_us.html

That is the contact page, and I don't need to put my email address on your blog. :-)

I am trying to help feed those kids with the help of others, of course. Besides being hungry some of the children now have pneumonia, colds, etc. because of the rainy season.

I have checked this school out with UMCOR. I have been in touch with them as well.

I am building their church a website. :-) John and Anne are sending me the information. Today, I found out they are in debt to the computer people as well. They use a computer at an internet cafe which they call the "cyber".

I decided to "adopt" Anne since I have no sisters. She asked if I would also adopt her daughters. :-) I said I would if it didn't cost anything. I live below the poverty level...but not like they do. The kids could not go to school this term because there was no money. Now, I am delight that I have my own brother...and an entire new family as well. I just wish I could help them more.


If your church would like to participate a bit in Oatmeal for Kids, those children would be grateful!

Thanks.

Carol Berg, website editor
www.wabashfirstumc.org
Carol Berg,